When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Freewheel

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

hatz4katz

Finally riding a big boys bike
Which tool / puller do I need to remove the freewheel on the wheel? The Park Tool PR-2 does not work as the tabs are too long to fit into the slots on the freewheel.
Thank you in advance for your replies.

20210728_135523.jpg

I wouldn't waste my time with a tool, been thru that many times with those old two slot freewheels. If memory serves me, a #8 easy out is the only tool that will work. Cody @Schwinn499 can verify size or maybe assist somehow. All my tools were stolen and I have not replaced my easy out set. I did have to cut the end off a little so it wouldn't hit the dust cover on the hub.

Last edited:
GT is right. It's an exercise in frustration and damage to use a freewheel tool. GT also correct that #8 is the size. I also cut the end off. I seem to recall this is in the Schwinn service manuals.

001.JPG

Last edited:
Using that tool will just peel the slots open. I tried one. Maybe it was ok when things were new and came apart easy. I will try and find the Schwinn Service Manual page about using the easy out.

Last edited:
Using that tool will just peel the slots open. I tried one. Maybe it was ok when things were new and came apart easy. I will try and find the Schwinn Service Manual page about using the easy out.

Not if you use an axel nut to keep the tool in place while breaking it free!

Another useful tip is to file the slots on the freewheel so they are square and the tool will work as intended.

Last edited:
Not if you use an axel nut to keep the tool in place while breaking it free!

Another useful tip is to file the slots on the freewheel so they are square and the tool will work as intended.

Yes, even using the axle and nut to hold the tool in place. There are 4 of us here that mess with these old two slot freewheels and when you're dealing with one that has been chemically fused to a hub for 61 years they just don't unscrew with the tool that's forcing all the pressure on the (2) small minute pressure points of that thin somewhat soft brass/bronze lip. It PEELS the damn lip right off! So us freaking hacks do it the way it's explained in the Schwinn repair manual with an easy out. In 1963-4 they finally got the bright idea to put splines in the freewheels for removal. A new fangled easy out tool was then designed and used to remove the freewheel.

Wow! This has been a source of frustration for me everytime I run into an old Atom two slot freewheel. I agree that even with the correct tool, locked down with an axle nut, using a nice vise on a freewheel I've soaked with PB Blaster, it's still a roll of the dice whether the darn thing is going to come off before the slots peel back, ruining the freewheel. Thank you GTs58 for an alternative solution to a problem. I'd really like to see the Schwinn service manual page, if someone has it. I want to thank schwinnbikebobb for the picture of the tool I'm going to buy tomorrow!

Here you go!

I'm really surprised that hack X-Schwinn mechanic is calling us a hack. Well, not really surprised knowing his background.

@kostnerave
Wow! This has been a source of frustration for me everytime I run into an old Atom two slot freewheel. I agree that even with the correct tool, locked down with an axle nut, using a nice vise on a freewheel I've soaked with PB Blaster, it's still a roll of the dice whether the darn thing is going to come off before the slots peel back, ruining the freewheel. Thank you GTs58 for an alternative solution to a problem. I'd really like to see the Schwinn service manual page, if someone has it. I want to thank schwinnbikebobb for the picture of the tool I'm going to buy tomorrow!

1627703402350.png

Back