When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Freewheel

-
Yes, even using the axle and nut to hold the tool in place. There are 4 of us here that mess with these old two slot freewheels and when you're dealing with one that has been chemically fused to a hub for 61 years they just don't unscrew with the tool that's forcing all the pressure on the (2) small minute pressure points of that thin somewhat soft brass/bronze lip. It PEELS the damn lip right off! So us freaking hacks do it the way it's explained in the Schwinn repair manual with an easy out. In 1963-4 they finally got the bright idea to put splines in the freewheels for removal. A new fangled easy out tool was then designed and used to remove the freewheel.

Well, if you go back and read the original post, it asked what the "Proper Tool" was to get the freewheel off. There was no mention of it being fused onto the hub, that is/was purely an assumption on your part!

Anyhow, I provided a pic of the proper tool, and my advice to go with it for the proper way to do it.

The page out of the service manual is an alternate method, (hack) and is used when the proper way will not work with the proper tool.

Last edited:
Lesse if I can show cobbled up tool I used. Lotsof fun on this one. Bought rear expander / gear locked on..timing gear with crank keys welded in oil slots. Laced hub to 26- toothed gear in vise and turn wheel. Still took lot of power to twist. Hack or not it has to work.. Having used that easy out on oil filter adapters they will flare tube out and wreck O.D.

IMG_20210731_091504.jpg

The J. Moyne I took off my Armstrong was the same. I didn't have the tool. I do have a full set of easy outs of all types but didnt know to use one.
I had three (now two) old Craftsman cabinet screwdrivers with square shanks that fit perfectly when cut to size. I cut it to create a bar that spanned the two recesses and fit inside the lip. I put the shank in a vise and put the wheel over the top of it.... turned the wheel.
I think the spoke flex helped. It was crunchy but came off fairly easy.

Iv found that if I use my acetylene torch and warm up the center real good and then use the tool it comes of easily but other wise it just tears up the freewheel like the others said.

Back