When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn fresh from the trash

-
Sweet find! Since there are no graphics on the frame I’m going to bet it’s been repainted, the tank also looks like a modern reproduction. It looks like a mix bag of parts to me but a good one at that, especially for the price.

Today in Inglewood I was helping a friend with his 56 bug and the neighbor rolls this out to the curb and dumps it next to the trash cans for the scrap guy.
View attachment 1096445
Knocked on his door to make 100% sure it was cool to swoop it up..

View attachment 1096450
And he says "take it"

View attachment 1096451

Rear hub says Bendix 2 speed auto?
View attachment 1096447
Serial number D128410
View attachment 1096473

Both wheels have H/D spokes and looks to be a Bendix hub on the front
View attachment 1096449
S-7 wheels
View attachment 1096481

Im not a middleweight guy but I still like it.. think Im going to clean it up, add the missing parts and fix a couple things. Does anybody know or have any ideas what this is or was? Never seen a middleweight with a spring fork. Funky rack and white pedals? The chainguard has no traces of the model name, it has been stripped and its just all chrome. Is this a Corvette, Jaguar or just some thrown together piece of $#!^ :grinning:
Nice find.... The tires even hold air! ;). It's begging for some fenders if you ask me.

My secret is that ALL my bikes are from the trash, :cool:. Next January will start year 30 at San Franciscos solid waste transfer station...3600 tons per day and the occasional cool old bike part that I grab before the loader crushes it or it goes in the scrap metal pile.:eek: Thats where my Pierce and Westfield Motobike frame was found. Pure random chance...

Interesting, Bendix blue band 2 speed kick back on HD spokes, Yes springer and tanks in 60's. And if came with tank then, no decals on top bar.

But somebody's gone a rattle canned front hub and spokes, . IDK, rattle can black? It looks spec and hard like original in photos maybe auto paint. that blue under chips on driver rear stay Prob Radiant blue, American, jag etc, as the color fits these fancier models so, guard prob was original. . tank looks like orig paint for the lack of more chips. in IDK late 60's mid 70's Schwinn made a hole near side edge of tank for rear break cable Might be a 90's tank. After 55 the fork pivot tube was cast solid and late 70's pivot tubes get sloppy welds, and the repops get china, thinner but smooth, can't make out in ur photo, weld joint. Schwinn did sell that accessory rack around mid 50, up to when, mid 60's? IDK but think Wald.

Who ever built it did decent heavy-middleweight franky. I wouldn't mind pulling $ 3-400 +/- parts bike off the curb too.

Last edited:
A Big Thank You to everyone for all the input and good vibes. :)

Yesterday before dark I took it for a few laps around the backyard and it was pretty stiff from sitting. Then late last night after a few I started the teardown to inspect all parts.

In pieces now

Reactions: JLF
I noticed the frame and spring fork are both repainted with light grey primer showing underneath. Schwinn badge was from a 81 with the four digit date code. The handlebars are stamped wald in the center. No stamp on the neck. Tank is metal.. not sure if repo but sure looks like it and the horn unit had been swapped. Crank has no date only says AS & CO. The spring fork is missing one of the truss rods, he couldnt find it. He did give me the fenders but they look like junk and the rear is missing the braces. Cant find any name or markings on the rack. The hubs are spray painted silver? but it cleans off easy. The S-7 rims will clean up and look nice after some chrome polish.

Quite the assortment of parts. Stem could be original, they had no markings at that time. Crank should have a date cast in so it's probably from a 50's bike. Schwinn script on tank is pre 59 and if the black underneath the decal is black vinyl it's a repop. Cool wheel sets! Rims are pre 66.

Back