When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn fresh from the trash

-

{Sorry, like 20,000 friken edits, as my write and thought always, evolves, type read, edit etc. Pain in butt process. , [grin] )}

So, anyway, yeah the fork crown, solid cast was Post 1955 "New style" the 60-70's most would be chromed. IDK but think all 60's are chromed. So, if original black it's a Phantom circa 55-59 or Black Heavy duty Wasp fork.

The idea of a special Wasp can get trouble as it begs the question about what's original here. stuff you couldn't prove unless some catalog or ad exists. I mean if you put pieces and possibility together, HD wheel package, 2-speed kick back, , A Wasp Springer (key difference) with paint vs chrome fork crown , chrome guard, HD frame and older stuff. It wouldn't be too far fetched to imagine for Schwinn to have built a special Deluxe heavy duty Wasp in 1961 0r 62 .. IDK but speculating delusion, dream or, , It could have happened. U could build one with your parts but G/L proving with out orig paint and decals or original ,extra special Like ' for example; 'Super Deluxe Heavy-Duty Wasp' silk screen painted guard. Making a friggen silk screen single color graphic print is practically grade school art, primitive, piece of cake for Schwinn's graphic department. [wink]

That chrome on tank looks 1990's "quality" IDK but think actual repops made for 95 phantom are painted whereas 2nd issue or cheaper at same time until 2001-2 are vinyl stickers. The fenders are Schwinn 90's+. In late 70-80's Schwinn wasn't making fenders for cruisers so, shops used Walds's and U will know difference between the Walds and Schwinn B/C of the short distance of the edge of fender to the bracket bend. Moreover Wald has universal fender bracket fitting deep to shallow fenders and Schwinn wouldn't. where the fender bracket meets edge of fender is tight. Regardless, Your Schwinn fenders have that same looking cheaper chrome that your tank has. It's a brighter pure white and rust contrast really stands out whereas, older higher quality Schwinn chrome is not as bright and much more rust resistant. Chrome is not as rust resistant as paint is although chips easier, Ya wouldn't thunk it but, more porous than paint. which is why Schwinn quality plating had two plates ; either nickel or copper or? that seals the steel and then chrome. But single plate, The Huffy, Murray and or , Japan imports from 50's on and China etc. rusts right through . One less plate, junk.

I think it's safe to say, your franky Schwinn or old and new parts all gathered and assembled around 2000.

{Sorry, like 20,000 friken edits, as my write and thought always, evolves, type read, edit etc. Pain in butt process. , [grin] )

Last edited:
Reactions: hm.
Swapped out the Schwinn badge, seat, grips and pedals. Put on the Wald fenders that came with it. I bought new tubes and one springer truss rod..

with fresh grease and some cleaning. Here it is..

Your 2 speed is actually a yellow band. Weather the blue stripes were painted on or yellow guts were installed in a blue shell, who knows. Still a great find!

Reactions: hm.
Your 2 speed is actually a yellow band. Weather the blue stripes were painted on or yellow guts were installed in a blue shell, who knows. Still a great find!
Good info. Thanks rusty! the color blue looks a lot lighter than others Ive seen and since the bike was restored many years ago it makes sence. Hardly any blue remaining anyway so maybe I should add the yellow

Back