When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn front rack

-

Rivnut

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
I paid $10 for a Schwinn middleweight the other day to pull some parts and try to resurrect them. Lots of thick paint covers every inch of the bike but I’m trying to preserve A few things. (Amazing how really thick paint keeps things from rusting.) on of the things I want to preserve is a front rack. It’s different from most I’ve seen. This one has two sets of hinges on it. I’m hoping someone can tell me what I have and what years it was available. Was it standard for a couple of years or an option? This one is not mine but a picture of one that I found on Google. It’s kind of neat in that it opens up so that both parts can be parallel with each other or the one section opens like the majority of others. TIA

Ed

What year was the bike that this was taken from? I'd like to have one of these. I wonder if it might pivot for enough flexibilty to work on a king size, or a ladies frame. Tuned in to hear what the experts have to say

That front rack was made for Schwinn by Mayweg. It was spec'd on the Schwinn Mark IV Jaguar, at least for 1960 and 1961. I don't recall what other models Schwinn used it on. Perhaps someone else knows.

Let’s hope the paint comes off cleanly. I was showing it to my wife and realized that the two turn downs will hook over the brace coming from the and stay in place making two separate layers to place things on.

What year was the bike that this was taken from? I'd like to have one of these. I wonder if it might pivot for enough flexibilty to work on a king size, or a ladies frame. Tuned in to hear what the experts have to say

If the distance between the top of the head tube and the axle slots in the fork are the same for the king size and a regular size bike, it will work.

Schwinn made men's and ladie's the same size. Parts are interchangeable.

Not the same distance, I think I have seen the chrome ones bent to fit but I'm not so sure you would be able to do that with the aluminium Mayweg.

The only way to make one of those fit a King Size and look halfway decent is too fab a new extended stem mounting bracket. But make sure it's "Schwinn Approved".

Here's a 1958 ad that proved to me that these new 1959 Maywegs were supplied to Schwinn prior to the production of the 1959 models.

Back