When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Front Spring Carrier for the Lightweights

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

irideiam

I live for the CABE
I have been researching to no avail to determine if Schwinn had a approved front rack in the 1960s-80s that was designed for lightweights, like part 01 411 in the catalog page below. I can imagine the biggest challenge was accommodating the various frame sizes (head tube lengths) of the lightweights. I am looking for a rack like the 01 0411 that would be era correct for a 1972 Speedster with a 24" seat tube frame. I prefer a "Schwinn Approved" version if they were made. I figured I would see if anyone here knew if they were made before I posted in the Wanted Forum. Thanks

1970_46.jpg

Last edited:
There is no stampings or part #s on them that I have ever seen. The one tell of a schwinn rack is the mounting Part. That does read Schwinn on the portion that is covered under the head nut.

I haven't seen a front carrier offered by Schwinn for the lightweights. It was either a rear spring carrier or a wire basket. As far as I know, the front carriers were made for 26" and some 24" bikes with the middleweight frame size. These carriers would work on a lightweight with same same size wheels as long as the head tube was the same length. The stem mounting collar is somewhat flexible for a fraction of an inch by bending it either up or down. Rigging up an extended top mounting bracket would be one way to make one work on a large frame, or extending the legs, but both are probably out the question. From all that I've seen, the rear carriers were about the only choice for a large frame.

-----

have long thought item 01 411 to be an ESGE product but have no hard information

a matching companion front was produced as have seen it

these tubular steel racks for front and rear incorporating a spring clip are widely encountered on everyday transportation cycles in Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Belgium, Holland and Denmark

they can be finished in either chrome or zinc

there have been a number of producers

here is one up for sale in a classified from the firm Hebie. this maker is best known for propstands but also produces floor stands, mudguards & chainguards...

1643939557657.png

1643939601813.png

1643939644688.png
1643939693779.png

1643939752131.png

-----

I am looking for both, two separate racks one for a MW and one for a LW 26" S6 wheel Speedster with 24" seat tube frame.

I asked them to delete those posts because there was too much confusion regarding what I was asking for.

Last edited:
-----

have long thought item 01 411 to be an ESGE product but have no hard information

a matching companion front was produced as have seen it

these tubular steel racks for front and rear incorporating a spring clip are widely encountered on everyday transportation cycles in Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Belgium, Holland and Denmark

they can be finished in either chrome or zinc

there have been a number of producers

here is one up for sale in a classified from the firm Hebie. this maker is best known for propstands but also produces floor stands, mudguards & chainguards...

View attachment 1563418
View attachment 1563419
View attachment 1563420View attachment 1563421
View attachment 1563422

-----
Thanks for the info

The front spring carrier is on two fastbacks(1973 & 1974) with 20” wheels that I have.

I have been researching to no avail to determine if Schwinn had a approved front rack in the 1960s-80s that was designed for lightweights, like part 01 411 in the catalog page below. I can imagine the biggest challenge was accommodating the various frame sizes (head tube lengths) of the lightweights. I am looking for a rack like the 01 0411 that would be era correct for a 1972 Speedster with a 24" seat tube frame. I prefer a "Schwinn Approved" version if they were made. I figured I would see if anyone here knew if they were made before I posted in the Wanted Forum. Thanks

View attachment 1562411
For better or worse, I put a spring-loaded carrier on the front of my ‘64 Racer, fit perfectly.

DD411DE2-33AB-4955-A16B-41945A10DEA2.jpeg

Back