When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn girder fork?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Oldbikeguy1960

Wore out three sets of tires already!
I guess I am behind the curve here, I just saw a thread on the bicycle springer forks from 2013. I thought about reviving it but since they didn't touch on my jssue with it I decided to start fresh.
The subject is the Schwinn springer (girder) fork, (RE)invented by Frank Schwinn? in 1938 and patented by Frank Schwinn in 1939.
Screenshot_20220716-101057_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Screenshot_20220716-101109_DuckDuckGo.jpg

My problem is this; How did Frank Schwinn get a patent calling him the inventor of a fork that was in use as early as 1907 on Triumph motorbikes?
Screenshot_20220716-100817_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Screenshot_20220716-100831_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Screenshot_20220716-101624_DuckDuckGo.jpg

There is no way i can see him as the inventor of this fork design, even if he was able to abscond a patent on an invention that was a teenager before he was crapping green.
Any thoughts?
PLEASE do not come back with "Patent Expired comments. That is not the point of this thread. The point is that Frank Schwinn is a liar, a fraud a cheat and a thief in my eyes now.
What else did he (re)invent?
Can anyone here redeem him in my eyes?

Sure, I understand that part. That would be like me rewriting Detroit Rock City, changing it to Seattle Rock City and coming out alive at the end.
The only difference though is a music copywright is more flexible since there is a limited number of musical noted and patterns they can be combined into.
A patent on an invention even if legal doesn't qualify Frank Schwinn to be an inventor in my eyes, especially after the way they went after manufacturers for copying it, the cantilever frame and the Krate combination of parts, none of which they had exclusive rights to any longer.
All these years I believed in the "Sketching out ideas in a notepad on the factory floor" stories that are told about him.
Thats a hard legend to warch die.
Thanks for the post!

Yes, I can see that. A lot of it probably comes down to who had the money to pursue those who copied their patents. As such Schwinn had the money to go after those who copied their Krate, cantilever frames, and others. But ya. It’s a little disappointing to think that this was stolen, but the drawings on the factory floor may be true for such things as the cantilever frame, and others.

I think to call him a liar, fraud, cheat and theif would be a bit strong. I also probably wouldn't use the word "inventor" for the case of this fork since it's pretty clear he redesigned an existing piece/patent to fit his needs.
Variations on existing patents are what keep things changing and progressing. I'm sure someone patented a diamond frame in the 1800s first and yet everyone was building one...so is everyone else a thief too for redesigning that patent as well?

I only feel that way because the storied told and circulated (I am sure with his approval) and the word inventor by his name on the patent.
The people today are not claiming they invented the Diamond frame.
I reinvent things myself (a lot) but yoou will not find one patent on anything with my name on it.
Maybe I could just say deceiver and leave it there. That actually would cover everything I feel about this.
Thanks for the post!

It's all about the claims at the end of the patent. It can look exactly like something else but what is claimed as the "invention" is what is important. If Triumph had a fork prior to the patent that reads on the claims of the Schwinn patent, then Triumph could have taken action against Schwinn.

After looking at the patent, where does it say that he invented the springer ?
The patent is for Bicycle Springer Fork "Mechanism" which is a different design and inner workings of the springer action.
There are many patents by many different inventors of the springer "Mechanism".

Back