When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Hornet

-

Bikes&buses

Look Ma, No Hands!
Selling a 1956 Schwinn Hornet. This bike still has schwinn westwind tires on it and it rides good!
$250 for the bike and my bike shop charges $60 for packaging then whatever actual shipping cost is.

20190809_172413.jpg

20190809_172431.jpg

20190809_172424.jpg

Ad reads Schwinn Westwind tires. Those were exclusive to their middleweights 1-3/4”’ width

Ad reads Schwinn Westwind tires. Those were exclusive to their middleweights 1-3/4”’ width

Thanks for the info, I didn't know they were middleweight exclusive. It is a beautiful bike and agree that it would look great with a tank!

For those not in the know, there was a Deluxe Hornet (D19) balloon and a Hornet (F15) middleweight offered in the 1956 model year. The OP's bike has middleweight tires and rims and looks like it's sporting balloon tire non Hornet fenders with no light holes.
Balloon Deluxe Hornet had a springer fork.
Middleweight Hornet had truss rods.
Both models were decked out with tanks carriers and light.

For those not in the know, there was a Deluxe Hornet (D19) balloon and a Hornet (F15) middleweight offered in the 1956 model year. The OP's bike has middleweight tires and rims and looks like it's sporting balloon tire non Hornet fenders with no light holes.
I was gonna jump in, but I’m glad you beat me to it!

Thinking the problem is that, those are not Schwinn fenders but Wald, look-a-like, after market. A balloon hornet's fenders are not full size wide and do not have duck tails as other balloon pre 1955 and wasps, streamliner etc. The Deluxe hornet springer, with S2 rims equipped, fenders are not as wide too, they're about 1/4" narrower than full regular sized fenders with duck tail and Ballooner S2 rims.

Then the wide pin stripes and they do not curve near front tip or rear of fender on that fender paint scheme. me tinks Wald's and that's why those balloon fenders fit the bike. Not as wide as normal but Early hornet deluxe wasn't as wide as usual too. et The easiest way to tell the difference between Wald and Schwinn's balloon fenders with this paint style or scheme is the pin stripes running into the tip, curving is Schwinn no curve is after market. And, after marked fender brace flat area where connected to fender Schwinn about 1/4 inch or less while after market distance is greater than 1/4. usually 1/2" and greater.

Last edited:
I agree,those fenders are not original
to that bike. That model is uncommon,it either wasnt popular or they just didnt make many of them for another reason. They switched to the canti style frame in ‘57 and made the standard and deluxe middleweights, so far as I can tell,based on the old ads. A member here had a red straight bar m/w Hornet and the serial number dated it to ‘58? Who knows?

Last edited:
Back