When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn hub cones, availability and cross compatibility

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

tommygun

'Lil Knee Scuffer
I'm going to keep this somewhat Schwinn specific but it could apply to any other old bike.

One of my biggest challenges working on old Schwinn's is matching up replacement hub cones. Last night, I was cleaning parts from a Bendix 76 coaster brake hub and needed a new cone due to the original one having pitting on the bearing surface. Luckily, I still have a few NOS Bendix cones in my inventory but it got me thinking- what will we do when our own parts stash runs dry? From my experience, Schwinn hubs, bottom brackets and headsets hold up very well when compared to their competitors but when you need a critical part to complete a project having multiple options is always nice. A lot of the bikes I build end up being riders, so I have to ensure parts are up to riding.

Has anybody worked on cross compatibility with current production repair parts? It would be nice to know who has made what work and in what application. I would love to hear everyone's thoughts about this.

I think I have the right name but there is a site called Wheel Goods that has many axle parts. Roger

I remember one other site I have had good luck with odd bike bike parts. It is called "Loose Screws Bike Parts." Roger

Seems like there are still lots of Wald replacement parts out there - including their replacements for Schwinn cones.

Seems like there are still lots of Wald replacement parts out there - including their replacements for Schwinn cones.

I haven't looked at Wald's product line since I worked at the shop years ago. I'll have to check them out again

Interesting topic.
I recently started to prepare a Schwinn hub for service, and discovered that the cups were pretty rough.
So, I thought I’d put some new ones in the hubshell, but discovered that these particular cups were an odd size compared to all of the other Schwinn replacement cups that I had.
BF1D6872-BADE-4DED-BAC3-8429C878D5BC.jpeg

Typically, these replacement cups are 1” in diameter.
15C5398E-E0EB-4A09-98E0-F32EF1ADFE2E.jpeg

This hub is a 1940/41 Hi/Lo Flange Forebrake.
Apparently, it used an odd size 15/16ths diameter replacement cup. Uggh!
So, let me know, if any of you guys happen to have a couple of these to spare.

Interesting topic.
I recently started to prepare a Schwinn hub for service, and discovered that the cups were pretty rough.
So, I thought I’d put some new ones in the hubshell, but discovered that these particular cups were an odd size compared to all of the other Schwinn replacement cups that I had.
View attachment 1217307
Typically, these replacement cups are 1” in diameter.
View attachment 1217306
This hub is a 1940/41 Hi/Lo Flange Forebrake.
Apparently, it used an odd size 15/16ths diameter replacement cup. Uggh!
So, let me know, if any of you guys happen to have a couple of these to spare.

Same axle setup and cups as the prewar Schwinn script hub also introduced in 40 - potential source for your parts if you have/find one.

I actually took out a Union axle and cone set and it fit this Schwinn script shell which had uncaged bearings that just weren’t riding well.

E2610E48-F142-4B0C-9C6F-D80E7D764ECB.jpeg

83D78E9F-91E0-4BC2-81DE-6908F7E6B4CE.jpeg

F762492A-896B-4986-8DE6-E51BC2CAFD96.jpeg

I'm going through the same thing with a high-low drum. There are two sizes of Schwinn script hubs. The one that has the cups will have #5 bearings. The later hubs have a larger cup and bearing.

Back