When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Hurricane is ugly bro. to Sting Rays?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Goldenrod

I live for the CABE
I have to hide this bike so my Schwinn collector friends don't pee on it. It is cheap at $250, rides well, seems to be rare but the seat is truck-like and the dummy shock is embarrassing? These must have cost as much as the Rays (to build) but our Nanny Gov. made our Boys-in-Chicago de-cool the shifter location? Is it considered to be the start of BMX?
IMG_6430.jpg
IMG_6431.jpg

the hurricanes can be pretty valuable to some.I passed on a mint one at an antique fair for 400 bucks thinking it was high.I turned around to think for a minute and another guy snagged it 10 feet from me.I personally like the red model better.

To be fair, the seat might ride two people and is softer than the banana. They should be preserved for future Schwinn-huggers by those who have space.

i have 3 of them two 5 speeds one of each color and a red coaster i can't bring myself to sell or do anything with them

I have to hide this bike so my Schwinn collector friends don't pee on it. It is cheap at $250, rides well, seems to be rare but the seat is truck-like and the dummy shock is embarrassing? These must have cost as much as the Rays (to build) but our Nanny Gov. made our Boys-in-Chicago de-cool the shifter location? Is it considered to be the start of BMX? View attachment 362426 View attachment 362427

No the start of BMX was '74ish and Schwinn's first attempt was the Scrambler.Not sure what they were thinking with this one. Maybe just a desperate attempt to continue using the cantilever frame they had carried on with too long. By '75/76 when they got in on BMX they were a few years behind and never really caught up. The Hurricane was 78-80

i have 3 of them two 5 speeds one of each color and a red coaster i can't bring myself to sell or do anything with them
I've never seen a coaster version.

The Hurricane 5 was 40 lbs., not a BMX bicycle, but having BMX features and advertised as Schwinn's "Top of the Line" Street Machine.
The 1980 version had the larger flange front hub.

The Scrambler was advertised as designed for BMX & off-road.

I've never seen a coaster version.

The Hurricane 5 was 40 lbs., not a BMX bicycle, but having BMX features and advertised as Schwinn's "Top of the Line" Street Machine.
The 1980 version had the larger flange front hub.

The Scrambler was advertised as designed for BMX & off-road.
Seen my 1st coaster version "Hurricane", 1979 ... Memory Lane Fall '22
The front Flanged Hub is steel, ... Union - Germany made stamped.
Standard 28 spoke wheels, frame has No reinforcement welds.

IMG_1220.JPG

IMG_1221.JPG

IMG_1224.JPG

IMG_1228.JPG

I wonder if these were a response to the Yamaha full suspension bike they made for a couple years.
I think it was called the Moto-Bike.

Anybody remember those?

I wanted one so bad but they cost around $200 which was a lot in those days.

Back