When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn ID

-

Bicycle Museum of America

Finally riding a big boys bike
Good morning/afternoon/evening, everyone.

I have another patron asking about their bicycle. The handlebars of this one are throwing me off. Could this be a Sport or Paramount with custom handlebars?

-Ryan

20220314_113100.jpg

20220324_144146.jpg

20220324_144204.jpg

thumbnail_20220324_144115.jpg

thumbnail_20220324_144136.jpg

20220324_144230.jpg

Upside down drop bars

NOT a Paramount ....what's the all too obvious giveaway ? = stamped steel rear dropouts

Last edited:
I'd assume that was a large frame Racer with added flipped drop bars and pedals off a Varsity.

A serial number would help enlighten things here, because we could probably establish an approximate date.

As mentioned, definitely not a Paramount and the bars are upside down. Red band kickback 2-speed hub was introduced around 1960-61 I think. The "Schwinn Approved" grips maybe surfaced around the same time(?). What type of rims are those and what size tires?

Last edited:
I'd assume that was a large frame Racer with added flipped drop bars and pedals off a Varsity.
Or traveler. They went to blade forks in '59. Only looks to be 21" frame to me. Looks like S-5 rims and a '62-'63 stem type. Seems the rear hub was probably original to the bike because no welded on brake or shifter hardware. Missing the fenders and chain guard.

2spd Green Racer would place it within a couple years. Thats IF we can assume the parts on it belong on it.
I see green overspray also. A serial number helps on a Schwinns through the 1980's.
Put me down for 60-61' 23" frame, 2spd Deluxe Racer in Radiant green. Pedals and bars from a Conti. Seat from a long gone middleweight. maybe OG grips.
The green, if not completely a rattle job looks like an earlier green and the blade fork crown was on deluxe models.

Maybe Im getting jaded. Maybe this is the sign.... but imagining this could be a Paramount tickles me.

Back