When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn info!

-
You could get the Morrow coaster brake upgrade I think still or rear drum that year as,well. As for the reflector, that is the deluxe style and correct. I do have some lobdell hoops painted white I would sell. Stronger then the s2 but same look and possibly found up to this year but I might be wrong.. :/

I ended up paying $175 for the bike and thank you for all your knowledge. I would like to keep it all original! It is cleaning up real nice. There was just a slight bit of light rust over the whole bike so it's not bad at all.
- but I do have a question. There are a few spots here and there the white ivory isn't the best like the pin striping on the rear fender ect. Also the red pin striping is here and there as well. So would it be bad to clean the whole bike up and have the white and red pin striping touched up to look nice again? Again only really were it needs it
If it was me... No, id leave it. No touch up

$175 is a real fair price, you did well. The rub with touch-up is that it almost always looks like touch-up. I'd also be inclined to leave the paint alone and let it show its age.

The Morrows are nice hubs, but more complex than the Bendix or New Dep units. And like other hubs of the era, the cogs are screw-on, which means if you want to lace one into a rim, you've pretty much got to pull the guts out. Which is probably a good idea anyway, just to grease them up. Quick word on gearing: if you still have the stock 52 tooth ring up front, then you'll likely want to run a 22 tooth cog in the back for a reasonable ratio. These likely came stock with a 20 or 18 tooth, but I find these ratios to be too high unless you're a 12 year old boy with energy to burn.

Cheers, Geoff

Alright! Well maybe ill beable to find a whole wheel set up one of these days on eBay and just purchase all of it together. Would be nice anyway. So it was just a coaster in the back and a drum brake up front? Was the front hub nd, bendix ect. As well?

Alright! Well maybe ill beable to find a whole wheel set up one of these days on eBay and just purchase all of it together. Would be nice anyway. So it was just a coaster in the back and a drum brake up front? Was the front hub nd, bendix ect. As well?

Mostly the front hub was a Schwinn made unit stamped Schwinn. I find on prewar bikes new departure was the common front hub. You could have dual drums on these. Front drum is also a Schwinn made unit stamped Schwinn.

One nice thing about these Schwinns is the rock hard paint and sturdy chrome- they clean up amazingly well. On your tank and areas of light surface rust, I would use naval jelly to eat that off, should not hurt the paint, but can damage decals, just check it after 10 minutes or so, may need to leave on a lot longer. If you want to bring any faded color back, use a light polishing compound and 0000 steel wool- avoid the pinstriping, it's not as tough. Then I usually go over it with WD40 and 0000 steel wool, removes the residue from the compound, and shines it up- plus will help keep those bare metal areas from re-rusting.

Just spent 2 days cleaning/servicing this recent buy, a 1950 B6, took it completely apart, scrubbed and shined every part, and put in new bearings- hadn't shined the chrome rear wheel yet in the pic but have since, it cleaned nicely as well. We need a rack for this one too. Good luck and have fun :)

Darcie

schwinn before clean.jpg
schwinn before clean 2.jpg
schwinn after clean.jpg

Last edited:
One nice thing about these Schwinns is the rock hard paint and sturdy chrome- they clean up amazingly well. On your tank and areas of light surface rust, I would use naval jelly to eat that off, should not hurt the paint, but can damage decals, just check it after 10 minutes or so, may need to leave on a lot longer. If you want to bring any faded color back, use a light polishing compound and 0000 steel wool- avoid the pinstriping, it's not as tough. Then I usually go over it with WD40 and 0000 steel wool, removes the residue from the compound, and shines it up- plus will help keep those bare metal areas from re-rusting.

Just spent 2 days cleaning/servicing this recent buy, a 1950 B6, took it completely apart, scrubbed and shined every part, and put in new bearings- hadn't shined the chrome rear wheel yet in the pic but have since, it cleaned nicely as well. We need a rack for this one too. Good luck and have fun :)

Darcie

View attachment 123643View attachment 123644View attachment 123645
Nice! Weird how the cream on some turns that yellow color.. My girls 41 is like that.. I left it be cause I thought it kinda looked cool with the maroon.

Nice lookin bike nick! It did clean up well.and so far on my project I have used only 0000 steel wool and wd-40. But I have not tried a polish compound. What exactly do you use? Just using the steel wool and wd-40 it is lookin nice, at least rust is disappearing. But I'm guessing that compound would bring a lot of color back.
Thanks for info on hubs Obi wan. And as far as that front fender you were talking about was it that reddish one?

I cleaned a lot of parts today. And I posted several on eBay. Gotta start funding this project in all ways possible. It's Gona get spendy. But well worth it :).

Nice! Weird how the cream on some turns that yellow color.. My girls 41 is like that.. I left it be cause I thought it kinda looked cool with the maroon.

That's funny, I wanted Nick to buy this one just so I could see if I could clean it off, it was driving me nuts! ;)

Darcie

...I have used only 0000 steel wool and wd-40. But I have not tried a polish compound. What exactly do you use?...

Compounds come in various grits, on this one I used a very mild one for removing light scratches and polishing, pretty much any brand would do.
:D
Darcie

Ok thanks nick I'll give it a try !

I have a question for selling purposes. The front hub I can only make out a letter U inside of a shield. Does anyone know what brand that is? Union or something ?

Back