When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Jaguar Mark IV Brake Question

-

Connor

Finally riding a big boys bike
I recently bought this original Schwinn Jaguar and I’m having trouble with the front brake. I can’t seem to get both brake pads to sit on the rim. It seems like one of the arms is too short... Any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks in advance!
-Connor

Shoot a pic from the front showing both sides of the caliper in one picture. I would hold the caliper together and pull down some cable through the hole and retighten.

Guess you'll be looking for the correct caliper, that one is most likely from a lightweight. The front and rear caliper should be the same other than the pivot bolt.

1962 Corvette

Guess you'll be looking for the correct caliper, that one is most likely from a lightweight. The front and rear caliper should be the same other than the pivot bolt.

1962 Corvette

View attachment 1316216
It must be the wrong caliper because the rear caliper is definitely larger... Thanks for the info! Is there a specific name for the correct one or are the middleweight ones universal?

That's a beautiful Jag and I'm surprised Schwinn did that. They must have run out of the correct calipers and then used what they had to keep the production line moving. Haha!
Haha, yea it’s hard to believe it’s wrong because everything else on the bike seems to be original... Thanks for you help!

It must be the wrong caliper because the rear caliper is definitely larger... Thanks for the info! Is there a specific name for the correct one or are the middleweight ones universal?
The lightweight calipers are smaller and the markings on the caliper arms are not the same, the early middleweight caliper arms are inscribed Schwinn Approved. These did not have a marking on the back for the size.

The front fender is installed backwards also. Should bolt on from the rear of the fork. Nice looking bike by the way.

That's a beautiful Jag and I'm surprised Schwinn did that. They must have run out of the correct calipers and then used what they had to keep the production line moving. Haha!
I doubt the factory did that, it looks like it won't even close around the fender. More likely done by some "mechanic" in the 60 years (more or less) since. But an easy fix. Hopefully the mechanic didn't "fix" too much.

Back