When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Juvenile

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

scooter_trasher

Finally riding a big boys bike
Just picked up a Schwinn 20 inch that looks like a 16, either a 52 or a 58 depending on which site I check, I'm thinking a 1952 20-inch model No. J-40. might make a Rat Rod Run-a-Bout out of it , until my grandson that's coming in a couple months is big enough for it :)
1952_schwinn_juvenile.jpg

schwinn bantam.JPG

bantam serial #.JPG

Last edited:
With your serial number and location, and tire size, I'd say a pretty good bet it's a 1958 Spitfire.
That's what I thought , but it looks like spitfires went to a straight lower bar in 56 & cantilever frame in 57, can't find the bike in the 57 or 59 catalog, but the 52 j 40 is a ringer for it, but then there's the 6 digit serial number

Schwinn often times used a different style frame on the juvenile bikes as apposed to its big 26" brother. Your bike is a 20" Tornado with those markings. I've seen a 24" Tornado that also had a DX style frame. Their big brother had a straight bar. Cool little rider!

Schwinn often times used a different style frame on the juvenile bikes as apposed to its big 26" brother. Your bike is a 20" Tornado with those markings. I've seen a 24" Tornado that also had a DX style frame. Their big brother had a straight bar. Cool little rider!
It would be nice to see a 58 catalog, the 57 lists the 20" spitfire, but doesn't show it and the first year I find the Tornado listed is 59 and they had this frame, the spitfire used the same paint scheme on some years , like this 51
100_7664.jpg
6394759501_4491e573d7_z.jpg

Just when ya think you have it made , because you find a parts bike for $20, you get the bike home and start to think "it's a 52 and too cute sitting next to the other one", you know you have problems :)

52 girls.JPG

52 serial number.JPG

schwinn twins.JPG

The 58 Tornado doesn't show up on Pat's site, but it's listed in the 1958 price guide on the better catalog sites. The Tornado model was introduced for 1957 Christmas promo sales. The paint detailing with three pins on all the bars and fork is Tornado only.

The later juvenile 24" twin bar Tornado had curved twin bars where the 26" model had straight twin bars.

img_20121006_145502-jpg.jpg

I love the 20" ones too - just added the tenth DX Style frame to the group - a '49 J40. Still getting it mobile, and will post when there. The first thing I noticed in the ad for this bike was the hole spacing for the badge appeared to be for the "shield" style badge. That got me interested enough to see about buying it.
2ad1436ab851dd86509e20dc9a31a236[1].jpg

When it got here I found this was correct for that badge. I also found a nice chainguad on the shelf in a very close red, so those tings got fixed. I also dug up a kickstand and put it on. No further progress other than thinking about stuff....
==================================================================
On the 24" ones they actually used the curved twin bar AND the straight twin bar over a couple of years:
'59 -
59 K962551 B 24.JPG

'61 - custom rehash
61 C147366 B 24.jpg

REC

Last edited:
Back