When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn kickstand not working right

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Cpshockl

'Lil Knee Scuffer
I bought a schwinn twinn recently and I can’t figure out the kickstand. It hits the back pedals when in the up position and goes way to far down so that the bike does not want to stand up properly. Also, it snaps when engaging it.

I was able to figure out getting it off and it’s well lubricated, but I can’t tell what part is bad. The spring or the rear nut thing?

A6B92DA6-5903-472D-AA62-AFB0140DE31C.jpeg

11CF1BFC-5706-4F36-8FE5-5044D15A8E37.jpeg

3FE7A9C4-2881-4B08-BA51-3EE2B7987E6F.jpeg

63AB50DB-7C1A-4FD4-B398-BBC0F9D83AEF.jpeg

Last edited:
Makes me think the stand is bent, or the weld at the housing is broken. The more likely cause is probably that someone prior to you installed the wrong stand. Show us pictures of what it's doing and a P/N. That would help solve the issue.

Makes me think the stand is bent, or the weld at the housing is broken. The more likely cause is probably that someone prior to you installed the wrong stand. Show us pictures of what it's doing and a P/N. That would help solve the issue.
Isn't there 2 different style cams? A short throw and a long throw or am I making things up? The wrong stand would explain the angle but the too far forward rotation is why I wondered about the cam.

I believe the stand is original. Everything on the bike appears to be original including the brick style tires(until I changed the back one). Although I don’t know much about bikes and even less about tandem bikes.

Last edited:
I bought a schwinn twinn recently and I can’t figure out the kickstand. It hits the back pedals when in the up position and goes way to far down so that the bike does not want to stand up properly. Also, it snaps when engaging it.

I was able to figure out getting it off and it’s well lubricated, but I can’t tell what part is bad. The spring or the rear nut thing?

View attachment 1839715

View attachment 1839717

View attachment 1839718

View attachment 1839716
Maybe you need to spin the cam one more time usually one of the flat side has a hash mark that flt faces down.

Isn't there 2 different style cams? A short throw and a long throw or am I making things up? The wrong stand would explain the angle but the too far forward rotation is why I wondered about the cam.
There might be a difference in angle between the old flat end cam vs the later model open end cam.
That is quite an odd angle in the stowed position! I don't think you can fit much of a different stand on these tandems. The cam still looks pretty round to me. Usually you will see the cam pin worn to a football shape. I have definitely seen worse function better than that.
Clean off where the cam pin goes in to the stand. I think I see the edge of an oblonged hole, which would explain the odd angle. That hole the cam pin goes in is supposed to be uniform and somewhat of a tight fit when new.

11CF1BFC-5706-4F36-8FE5-5044D15A8E37~2.jpeg

Here is a Factory Schwinn kickstand installation page...
Assuming from pics that you have a Schwinn middleweight tandem, the kickstand part number, which should be stamped on part is #8337 / #337

Paper Tunes295.jpg

In most cases the cam and retaining pin that goes in the cam notches are worn. Clean up the stand and cam and do a good inspection for wear on how the pin fits in cam notches. Sloppy fit means sloppy sprag. There was a stand change in 71 I believe and they are different than the earlier pieces. The new stands will be marked with a 3 digit part number. Older stands will have a 4 digit number or no stamping at all. That tandem looks like it 68-70 so it doesn't use the newer cam and stand. Look on the end of the cam that faces out when installed. It will have 1 or 3 notches at the bottom. These notches are always at the bottom when installed in the stand tube. The new cam has 3 notches so yours should only have one. Old and new are not interchangeable. Also check the cam fit in the tube. The cam should not rotate at all.

LATER CAM

s-l1600.jpg

EARLY CAM
s-l1600.jpg

Back