When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Kickstand Stamped 8337

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

GWLW7272

Look Ma, No Hands!
trying to figure out what this is correct for ?
DSC01451.JPG
DSC01445.JPG

I've seen the 8340, 8336 and 8338, but not one 8337. Hit up ole Charlie Harper on the SBF, he still has some old Schwinn parts catalogs.

They have just been discussing this in SBF and that is a kick stand for a 1972 or earlier Fastback. Roger

They have just been discussing this in SBF and that is a kick stand for a 1972 or earlier Fastback. Roger

That's weird. The specs for the first years of the Fastback say the kickstand is #8338-F. And the F indicates a chrome finish.

Schwinn changed the kickstand deployment angle (via the cam) to a more vertical position in 1971 to ease the stress on the kickstand housing. The older more forward angled deployment often resulted in twisting the cam in the frame housing when people would sit on bikes with the kickstands down. Because of the more vertical deployment angle the 1971 and later sprags were slightly shorter than the 1970 and earlier versions.

I don't have access to any Fastbacks to verify but according to the dealer parts catalogs 1970 and earlier Fastbacks used sprag no. 8338 combined with a 1-notch cam (pictured left). 1971 and later used sprag no. 346 with a 3-notch cam (right). You can interchange the earlier and later kickstands and cams as long as both are changed together.

fm18c7-1.jpg

I have dealer parts catalogs for most of the years from '62 through '83 and none of the ones I have show a sprag no. 8337. Perhaps it was a mis-stamp?, if not it seems to be a catalog omission or mistake that was never corrected.

Last edited:
Back