When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn King Size Registry & Research Project

-
1965 Schwinn King-size Heavy Duty.
SN LA23145. Currently still listed on the registry as owned by Dizzie Problems. I bought the frame set from him.

EFD5FB93-4CD2-42D1-84D9-8B27A7EC2F23.jpeg

31593C46-54B8-43F9-87D7-CACF4DA62C97.jpeg

I bought this here on the CABE as a rough, bare frame in June of 2019. I’d wanted a King-size for years but could never find one. I had been tooling around on an 80’s HD. It was a great bike but I wanted something a bit larger. I bought the frame planning to transfer lots of the good parts from the 80’s model onto the 65. It wasn’t until quarantine that I finally had time to get to work on it.

13FC2F0C-127D-48A9-AE98-FD493F1D3BDC.jpeg

BF720E15-4951-4E83-BE44-B81CD30C9EC4.jpeg

The frame was pretty rough. It had an worn, dark green re-paint. Lots of the metal was rust-pitted. I think a number plate of some type had previously been welded (and then later cut-off) from the underside of the top tube and there were some nasty looking holes remaining. I first stripped it all to bare metal, welded up the holes and then used body filler on all of the pitting prior to priming and a repaint. The new color wasn’t exactly what I wanted but it was what I could get at the time and I decided to run with it. I then added decals and clear-coated it. I couldn’t find any kind of KS chain guard decal so I went with the HD version and called it close enough.

I do have correct fenders for it but haven’t painted them yet and I’m not even sure they would fit the 2.35” Fat Frank tires I’m running. I have a friend that has a two speed kickback for me and I may end up using that with some 1 3/4” tires in the future. If I do use that I will install the fenders.

I‘m still in the “shake down” stage with it but I’m very happy so far.

Last edited:
1965 Schwinn King-size Heavy Duty.
SN LA23145. Currently still listed on the registry as owned by Dizzie Problems. I bought the frame set from him.

View attachment 1389181

View attachment 1389183
I bought this here on the CABE as a rough, bare frame in June of 2019. I’d wanted a King-size for years but could never find one. I had been tooling around on an 80’s HD. It was a great bike but I wanted something a bit larger. I bought the frame planning to transfer lots of the good parts from the 80’s model onto the 65. It wasn’t until quarantine that I finally had time to get to work on it.

View attachment 1389182

View attachment 1389273
The frame was pretty rough. It had an worn, dark green re-paint. Lots of the metal was rust-pitted. I think a number plate of some type had previously been welded (and then later cut-off) from the underside of the top tube and there were some nasty looking holes remaining. I first stripped it all to bare metal, welded up the holes and then used body filler on all of the pitting prior to priming and a repaint. The new color wasn’t exactly what I wanted but it was what I could get at the time and I decided to run with it. I then added decals and clear-coated it. I couldn’t find any kind of KS chain guard decal so I went with the HD version and called it close enough.

I do have correct fenders for it but haven’t painted them yet and I’m not even sure they would fit the 2.35” Fat Frank tires I’m running. I have a friend that has a two speed kickback for me and I may end up using that with some 1 3/4” tires in the future. If I do use that I will install the fenders.

I‘m still in the “shake down” stage with it but I’m very happy so far.
Very nice save, and custom KS! A little history. I originally purchased this frame from a local bike swap meet and kept it in my stash of KS for several years before I sold it to Dizzie Problems ( If I recall correctly, or maybe it was the guy before him). Your correct the bike was used commercially in a chemical plant and had a ID plate welded in the frame (Ugh), the guy I bought it from cut the plate out and spray painted the frame. I didn't want to step up and put the $'s in to save it so I passed it on to our vintage KS circle, I'm glad it finally made it into the hands of someone that would put it on the road again. Thanks for keeping it alive & rolling!

Last edited:
Very nice save, and custom KS! A little history. I originally purchased this frame from a local bike swap meet and kept it in my stash of KS for several years before I sold it to Dizzie Problems ( If I recall correctly, or maybe it was the guy before him). Your correct the bike was used commercially in a chemical plant and had a ID plate welded in the frame (Ugh), the guy I bought it from cut the plate out and spray painted the frame. I didn't want to step up and put the $'s in to save it so I passed it on to our vintage KS circle, I'm glad it finally made it into the hands of someone that would put it on the road again. Thanks for keeping it alive & rolling!

Thanks for the background! It’s always kind of interesting to know a little more about the history of a bike.

Just rode it tonight. It’s a great cruiser!

Very nice, I might have a original set of correct bars and grips if you're interested. I'll get it added.

I do have the guard,
I have a 1964 KSA frame/guard no fork. No rusting/pitting that has been painted, I am thinking of selling. Figured I'd let the KS group know before I officially list it. PM me. Here's info from registry.

Irideiam​
D434584​
Monday, April 13, 1964​
KSA​
Black​
Spray painted red frame/guard only​

I have a 1964 KSA frame/guard no fork. No rusting/pitting that has been painted, I am thinking of selling. Figured I'd let the KS group know before I officially list it. PM me. Here's info from registry.

Irideiam​
D434584​
Monday, April 13, 1964​
KSA​
Black​
Spray painted red frame/guard only​
Hi irideiam,
I just saw the post of your '64 KSA frame for sale: https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/1964-king-size-american-frame-tall-frame.190032/
So, are there any special year(s) or special size frame of Speedster with forks that work with a KSA frame? (I can do a post elsewhere if you want to keep this thread only about serial numbers, lmk)

Hi irideiam,
I just saw the post of your '64 KSA frame for sale: https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/1964-king-size-american-frame-tall-frame.190032/
So, are there any special year(s) or special size frame of Speedster with forks that work with a KSA frame? (I can do a post elsewhere if you want to keep this thread only about serial numbers, lmk)
The fork for 24" frame 1960s-70s Speedsters & Racers has enough steer tube. The 22" frames forks are too short.

Back