When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn King Size Registry & Research Project

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
-
Looks like Heavy Duti on the chain guard

Your eyes are better than mine. I can't make out anything either way. If the serial has a letter then a number it's not a 65. But then again, if the Heavy Duti was offered at the beginning of the year it could have a late 64 serial. What's that piece worth?

I was able to scored this ‘64 (w/o the wrong seat) for $325 (+addtl shipping) 07/21 on ebay, but I think $375-400 would’ve been closer to the market value.
4E774326-8393-4FBC-B470-4E979C63B1AE.jpeg

Well unbolted the rack and clear as Day we have a 65 king size heavi duti.
he gave me the original wheels that were on it, the handlebars and fenders that had the supports re-cadded. A bag of 34 new spokes and 36 nipples along with a reflector that is probably incorrect. Before picking it up he tried to clean up the frame. Not much paint left on it. I thought the seat was the correct one, but it was stated earlier it’s not. The wheels really aren’t that bad so a quick overhaul and cleaning should be sufficient. Both wheels are marked Schwinn tubular S7 with a red striped bendix hub and a made in Germany one in the front. Are these the correct wheels? Spokes looked hefty but I though all Americans only had American parts on them. Will post pics and welcome all feedback and suggestions. 1690833

26485282-2752-4918-968C-B2142D342BCA.jpeg

The American would most likely have a Bendix front hub also. The S-7's looks correct for a 1965, first year for side stamping, and upside down. Great project! The paint looks pretty hopeless.

I just did a final wipe down and there is far more silver base and metal than paint. The fork was full of rust dust and once cleaned I could see engraving. The bike was part of a rental fleet. They engraved their serial numbers on the handlebars and rear wheel. Finishing tearing down the whole frame. Was most likely a beach rental so I’m going to get really deep inside and make sure all the frame is cleaned up. I’ll do a full repaint now since there is nothing to save, maybe put a two speed on the rear and make it all American. The spokes are heavy duty front and back from what I can tell. The spares are nice to have as well.

But its not a American, its a Heavy Duty. HD became its own model in 64.
Correct! They had a 64 KSA and a KSHD in 64. The JA serial number is 65

Years and models produced:
King Size American (KSA) 1962-1964 (includes late 61 frame dates for 62 year model)
King Size American Heavy Duty (KSAHD) 1962-1963 (includes late 61 frame dates for 62 year model)
King Size Heavy Duti (KSHD) 1964-1965 ("King Size" naming not on chain guard)

Last edited:
Correct! They had a 64 KSA and a KSHD in 64. The JA serial number is 65

Years and models produced:
King Size American (KSA) 1962-1964 (includes late 61 frame dates for 62 year model)
King Size American Heavy Duty (KSAHD) 1962-1963 (includes late 61 frame dates for 62 year model)
King Size Heavy Duti (KSHD) 1964-1965 ("King Size" naming not on chain guard)
I just noticed that all the 64 heavy duty’s had end of October 64 stamped serial numbers. So technically they are 1965 models with late 64 stamped dropouts? Pretty normal situation on all Schwinn's production.

Back