When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn King Size Registry & Research Project

-
Did the king size come in green? Or just black and red?

1962dlr_American.jpg

The 1962 model year offered radiant green, and also radiant blue along with radiant red and black. I believe radiant green was not offered in 1963.

Now that's confusing.
Ya, the catalog pages say they only offered green in King Size 1963-1964, but there is a frame dated 1962 on the KS registry. So, as we have found before the frames were either made early for 1963, or the catalog was not up to date with the factory.

The same is true for the 1961 KS frames, when King Size didn't show up in the catalogs until 1962.

Last edited:
The 1962 model year offered radiant green, and also radiant blue along with radiant red and black. I believe radiant green was not offered in 1963.
The catalog reference vs dated frames has it's inconsistencies as I stated above, but regardless the radiant green is pretty rare in KS.

If you possess a rare taller (20" seat tube) middleweight cantilever complete or frame and would like to be added to the registry let us know. Only made from 1962-1965 in short production runs, which is already noticeable in the list compiled thus far. A few of us here are obsessed with learning more detailed history on the model, so please add any knowledge to this post as well. I'll do my best to keep the list updated on a regular basis. Looking forward to the knowledge share.

Years and models produced:
King Size American (KSA) 1962-1964 (includes late 61 frame dates for 62 year model)
King Size American Heavy Duty (KSAHD) 1962-1963 (includes late 61 frame dates for 62 year model)
King Size Heavy Duti (KSHD) 1964-1965

Note: I have made the registry spreadsheet an image, so you can save it if you'd like. Enjoy!

View attachment 828053
My King Size serial number is D215705.

The bike looks great, super clean chain guard with no swipes. Looks like 4/4/62 frame date.... 91 digits away from @Pantmaker 's bike....Maybe a close enough match for his twins some day.

Back