When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn King Sting and Sidewinder!???

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I myself find it funny that some will dig themselves deep in a hole because the catalog says they didn’t make one. It’s pretty obvious to me that that’s an original decal on the seat tube, with white paint under it. But, I don’t know anything, I wasn’t there to see them all built so don’t take my word for it!

Maybe for like a race team? Idk, seems strange someone would completely strip it, do red oxide primer, spray it white and put correct decals back on it with correct parts. And far enough back to have the rust it has on it now you know?
Even the fact that it is for sure a sidewinder it’s odd that it’s dated December of 1980 and the sidewinder i believe to have been introduced in 1982. Maybe a few were released before that time in white!? Idk.. just mind barfing now

Reactions: hm.
crank dated 1979
A11FBABD-8668-43E2-95CA-C836FFB4B4DD.jpeg

Even the fact that it is for sure a sidewinder it’s odd that it’s dated December of 1980 and the sidewinder i believe to have been introduced in 1982. Maybe a few were released before that time in white!? Idk.. just mind barfing now

The first model year was 1982 for the Sidewinder, and they only came in Silver/Blue and Sierra Brown/Gold.

The frame date is irrelevant, and the 4 numbers stamped into the head badge is the actual day the complete bike came off the assembly line at the factory! In this case, yours is dated 2671, and that indicates is was built in late 81 for the 82 model year.

BUT, all that being said, given the condition of the bike, and the 79 dated cranks, I would say it is just a franken bike someone through together and painted sometime over its 40 years of existence!

If you want to fool yourself into thinking this is a factory paint job when given the documentation available for these, then I guess you can keep mind barfing.........LOL

Last edited:
The first model year was 1982 for the Sidewinder, and they only came in Silver/Blue and Sierra Brown/Gold.

The frame date is irrelevant, and the 4 numbers stamped into the head badge is the actual day the complete bike came off the assembly line at the factory! In this case, yours is dated 2671, and that indicates is was built in late 81 for the 82 model year.

BUT, all that being said, given the condition of the bike, and the 79 dated cranks, I would say it is just a franken bike someone through together and painted sometime over its 40 years of existence!

If you want to fool yourself into thinking this is a factory paint job when given the documentation available for these, then I guess you can keep mind barfing.........LOL

View attachment 1482413
Got it. So if it wasn’t listed in the catalog, it never existed. No matter what the evidence tells us on the frame. Thank you for you expertise! I’m glad you commented with your knowledge of every single bike that left the Schwinn factory ever.

I’d just like the point out that you could in fact get a bike from Schwinn in a color that was not listed for that bike in the catalog…. I’ve had one myself that was a custom ordered color….

Got it. So if it wasn’t listed in the catalog, it never existed. No matter what the evidence tells us on the frame. Thank you for you expertise! I’m glad you commented with your knowledge of every single bike that left the Schwinn factory ever.

I don't see any evidence that this is in fact a factory paint job! You can believe what ever you want, even if it is a comforting lie..............LOL

Back