When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn King Sting and Sidewinder!???

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
image.jpg

I’m not trying to stir up an argument, simply just trying to figure out why this bike is painted white with original decals, leads me to believe it’s original paint and the evidence I’ve found is quite convincing and that is could be factory paint.

Speculation is not evidence...................LOL

I have some original decals................

Last edited:
Yep, it must be true if you found a picture on the internet.....................!

Here is a picture of a "RARE" Great White Seagull.

View attachment 1483732
Why are you being so negative? This guy is just trying to find out information on a bike he’s picked up. You keep claiming he has no evidence, but the only thing you can point to is catalog pages, what does that prove? What do catalog pages prove?

We all know bikes left the factory in ways that the catalog says they shouldn’t have. I’ve personally owned a Schwinn bike that was a custom ordered color not offered on the bike it was sprayed on.

Give it a rest. Go away. Change the channel if you’re not happy with what you see. More than one example of these bikes has surfaced now in white due this this guys digging around. And every single one of them still has factory decals on them.

You are not God. You were not there when each of these bikes were built. You were not there when the orders came in. The rest of us would like to see what comes of this. Maybe you should too. Maybe you might learn something. Maybe you should give it a rest before driving more youngsters away from this ever increasingly expensive hobby….

Good day, sir.

Why are you being so negative? This guy is just trying to find out information on a bike he’s picked up. You keep claiming he has no evidence, but the only thing you can point to is catalog pages, what does that prove? What do catalog pages prove?

We all know bikes left the factory in ways that the catalog says they shouldn’t have. I’ve personally owned a Schwinn bike that was a custom ordered color not offered on the bike it was sprayed on.

Give it a rest. Go away. Change the channel if you’re not happy with what you see. More than one example of these bikes has surfaced now in white due this this guys digging around. And every single one of them still has factory decals on them.

You are not God. You were not there when each of these bikes were built. You were not there when the orders came in. The rest of us would like to see what comes of this. Maybe you should too. Maybe you might learn something. Maybe you should give it a rest before driving more youngsters away from this ever increasingly expensive hobby….

Good day, sir.

The only negativity I see here is yours towards me for providing documented factual into on this subject matter!

There is NO EVIDENCE to suggest that these bikes ever came from the factory in white. A couple of pics found on the internet is no proof of that. Bikes are easily painted, and customized. I customized lots of bikes back in the early 80's when I worked at the Schwinn dealership.

Anyhow, you or anyone else can believe what you want as it pertains to this subject. If you have some documentation from Schwinn as it relates to this, then please share it with us. But until then, I will just agree to disagree, and believe what I know to be factual info from the dealer documentation I have, and from my first hand experience working at a Schwinn dealer during that era!

I will continue to compile any information regarding this including any speculative catalogs that may shine light on the subject. If all information still leads us to dead end than so be it. Anyone with first hand information beyond what’s been posted in the thread please feel free to add if something more concrete comes up. Thanks

That frame in question is an old repaint.not taking sides here but not any og prime but in one or two spots.and schwinn paint doesnt age like that.lots of evidence available to see how even a badly abused frame the paint does not age like that.im 100% convinced after carefully looking at the pics.i have an original paint white cruiser for comparison.after getting mine i did a lot of research on the special order frame colors.saw several examples of 80s white factory paint in various stages of aging.ive also restored and preserved vintage cars for over 30 years and am very familiar with aged paint.that is rattle canned.look at the paint chipped areas on mrg's white cruiser,plenty of pics of it on here.and no,you could not special order a custom color schwinn from the factory in the 80s.although there were plenty of shops that would have them repainted if you wanted to pay for it.

Not mention that the guy you are arguing with probably has more knowledge on this era of schwinns that anyone on this forum.hes just laying down the facts.
I’m in total agreement that it doesn’t seem to be factory paint. Overspray of white in the frame and some areas have red oxide primer but other areas definitely do not at all. It’s just soooo odd that there are decals on top on the white paint and white under the headbadge. It had me wondering if it’s possible a dealer custom painted it for customer order and then put all the correct decals back on it??

I was just hoping to find if anyone had any first hand knowledge of a dealer that would do that or not. Either way it’s super cool and wanted to know what I need to restore it to. The sweet custom ordered white sidewinder or what I believe to have been originally a silver model.

However if more white ones for some reason surface and are some how from the same dealer that would be an interesting twist. Haha!

Most likely will go back to silver seeing how rough it is🤘🏼

Back