When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn King Sting and Sidewinder!???

-
So I just went back through this thread, and the head badge numbers I could see (maybe three, but one of them I'm not 100%) date from the second half of 1981, so now it looks like the Sidewinder was a mid-year introduction like the Klunker 5, and the white version was dropped for 1982. So this leaves me with a couple of questions:
(1) Has anybody got a silver one with an '81 head badge stamp and does it have the early decals?
(2) Does anybody have a complete set of '81 Schwinn Reporters? The Klunker 5 was introduced in the Reporter and Schwinn would have wanted to publicize a new model as much as they could, so there must have been something about the Sidewinder, if it was introduced mid-year.

So I just went back through this thread, and the head badge numbers I could see (maybe three, but one of them I'm not 100%) date from the second half of 1981, so now it looks like the Sidewinder was a mid-year introduction like the Klunker 5, and the white version was dropped for 1982. So this leaves me with a couple of questions:
(1) Has anybody got a silver one with an '81 head badge stamp and does it have the early decals?
(2) Does anybody have a complete set of '81 Schwinn Reporters? The Klunker 5 was introduced in the Reporter and Schwinn would have wanted to publicize a new model as much as they could, so there must have been something about the Sidewinder, if it was introduced mid-year.
Not sure this is what you're looking for, but here's what I have.
IMG_20211211_153022.jpg

IMG_20211211_153035.jpg

IMG_20211211_152912.jpg

IMG_20211211_152843.jpg

Interesting! From the head badge stamp, your silver bike was built early in 1982, but it looks like it still has the Brooks seat. My 1983 Sidewinder and Sierra both had Avocet, which I'm guessing was original to the later bikes. Thanks for posting!

The Brooks saddle was on the 82 models only

Between the ‘81 ratty white frame and my ‘83 chestnut that @Cruiserdude94 and I picked up at a swap, one of them came originally with the Brooks. Not sure which one it was on. He kept it with his as I didn’t want it for mine.

Back