When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn King Sting and Sidewinder!???

-
Your '83 has some parts that my '83 never had, I take it you're more concerned about function than originality! What kind of crank is that?
I bought it a few years ago all original, but built it up for a comfortable ride. I still have all the original parts, the S2 rims.
Not sure on the cranks, will check them out and let you know l.

Your '83 has some parts that my '83 never had, I take it you're more concerned about function than originality! What kind of crank is that?
I bought it a few years ago all original, but built it up for a comfortable ride. I still have all the original parts, the S2 rims.
Not sure on the cranks, will check them out and let you know l.
Thumbs up on the 83 and Im thinking it looks like or very similar to this one I have from 79-80

Another surfaces! I was lucky enough to discover a post on Instagram about this bike. The owner has agreed to let me share pictures and his background with the bike.

serial - JS505801 - September 1981
Schwinn Sidewinder in white

Bryan - “Decals are a little roached but I found the bike on Craigslist. I originally thought it was a frosty silver sidewinder. A buddy sent me the link and told me he bought it and only bought it for the parts. When I went over to his house that day I was in complete shock to find out that I had a original white paint Schwinn sidewinder. I knew they painted some bikes white upon special order in the 80s but I never thought I would find one ! I got the frame and the fork off my buddy and I build it up with parts I had laying around. Stoked to have it !”

The bike itself has lots of parts added to make it a rider, Bryan told me the headbadge is not original to the bike as well. So not a lot left to it’s original roots. But the white paint and early trapezoid sidewinder decal is clearly visible! So freaking cool!!
31445831-B307-4886-ABB2-B942B289C5CF.jpeg
54159689-51BD-49CD-8603-A5315B7B0AAD.jpeg
1B31A83E-C5A0-470F-A05A-42C24D2F65CF.jpeg

Another surfaces! I was lucky enough to discover a post on Instagram about this bike. The owner has agreed to let me share pictures and his background with the bike.

serial - JS505801 - September 1981
Schwinn Sidewinder in white

Bryan - “Decals are a little roached but I found the bike on Craigslist. I originally thought it was a frosty silver sidewinder. A buddy sent me the link and told me he bought it and only bought it for the parts. When I went over to his house that day I was in complete shock to find out that I had a original white paint Schwinn sidewinder. I knew they painted some bikes white upon special order in the 80s but I never thought I would find one ! I got the frame and the fork off my buddy and I build it up with parts I had laying around. Stoked to have it !”

The bike itself has lots of parts added to make it a rider, Bryan told me the headbadge is not original to the bike as well. So not a lot left to it’s original roots. But the white paint and early trapezoid sidewinder decal is clearly visible! So freaking cool!!
View attachment 1678961View attachment 1678962View attachment 1678964

It is pretty hard to tell if this is a factory paint job from those 3 pics. We have established that Schwinn did have a small production run in White in late 81. But since this bike pictured is far from factory original when it comes to the parts, I would question the authenticity of the paint unless I could see it in person!

It is pretty hard to tell if this is a factory paint job from those 3 pics. We have established that Schwinn did have a small production run in White in late 81. But since this bike pictured is far from factory original when it comes to the parts, I would question the authenticity of the paint unless I could see it in person!
Thanks for your input, so incredibly knowledgeable!

It has the yellow "Caution" decal, which adds points in favor of it being factory. Sure, it could have been repainted by a shop and the decals sourced, but a lot of trouble for a bike that was not particularly valuable back in the day. Just my 2cents.

An NOS King Sting? Nice!!!!

Back