When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SCHWINN KLUNKER SINGLE SPEED?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Xlobsterman

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
So there is currently a discussion in a group on Facebook concerning this KLUNKER's authenticity! The owner claims it is a factory production bike, because the guy who sold it to him said it was...........LOL

Does anyone have any type of documentation that Schwinn ever produced a single speed coaster brake "KLUNKER"? I was working at a Schwinn shop from 77 to 82 and I do not remember anything but a KLUNKER 5 ever being sold or produced. IMO, this is a bike that was either modified by the shop who sold it, or by the original owner!

CABE thread from November is here:

Thanks, I did do a search for it before I made my post but didn't find anything!

But there is still no documentation in that message thread that confirms the authenticity!

No, I just thought you might like to see the thread. I didn't re-read the whole thing but the consensus was "highly doubtful" as I recall.

We will probably never see a piece of Schwinn literature stating there was a coaster brake Klunker. I don't know why the owner actually believes his is real but it's obviously not. It was obviously a Klunker 5 converted to a single speed coaster and the person that made the stencil for painting the new name on the guard messed up with the U. Notice 2 notches for the cut out of the stencil. Also that bike has the yellow down tube warning sticker for multi-geared bikes and no coaster models had that sticker. And to top it off, you can see the knurling on the chain ring that indicates it was the clover version for the 3/32" chain.

1610306941256.png

We will probably never see a piece of Schwinn literature stating there was a coaster brake Klunker. I don't know why the owner actually believes his is real but it's obviously not. It was obviously a Klunker 5 converted to a single speed coaster and the person that made the stencil for painting the new name on the guard messed up with the U. Notice 2 notches for the cut out of the stencil. Also that bike has the yellow down tube warning sticker for multi-geared bikes and no coaster models had that sticker. And to top it off, you can see the knurling on the chain ring that indicates it was the clover version for the 3/32" chain.

View attachment 1336361

I don't think the chainguard was repainted, but I could be wrong on that? Anyone who restores these older bikes knows how easy it is to damage those silk screened chainguards if you use the wrong polish, or rub it too hard when trying to clean them up! IMO, the 5 was just removed with a little polishing compound? Anyhow, there are 3 things that point to this to being a 5 speed originally. The brake warning sticker, the front fork with the hole for the caliper brake, and the knurling on the chain ring! No single speed bike from the factory would have had any of those!

Back