When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Le Tour identification

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
It was to expensive at the time for Schwinn to build this bike here. So, off they went, overseas, seeing who could maintain the quality of Schwinn while making it still profitable. Japan won.
The Yen and Dollar difference worked out for a few years...then that changed...making it just as expensive to build it in Japan if not more so. Back to the USA it came!

It was to expensive at the time for Schwinn to build this bike here. So, off they went, overseas, seeing who could maintain the quality of Schwinn while making it still profitable. Japan won.
The Yen and Dollar difference worked out for a few years...then that changed...making it just as expensive to build it in Japan if not more so. Back to the USA it came!
I’m getting her going. Back wheel is trued. Ordering a pair of Panaracers. Shouldn’t be long now!

I'm with GTs58....'74-'76. Serial stamp should be on the left drop out.....how curious. As was said, since the bike parts all look OE, try to find a date stamp on one of those pieces.

There were two yrs of the LeTour and the Super LeTour made in Chicago. Schwinn was in a tiff with their Japanese frames supplier. They decided to make lug frames competitive with the Japanese in '79-'80. The Paramount and Varsity also got the lugged frames but double butted.

Formally, Schwinn had been using fillet-brazed joints on their tubing for their better bikes at the Chicago plant. Nice, strong joints but a 1930's process. All the LeTours and Super LeTours were lugged frames.

Kevin

Panasonic and Giant both made frames for Schwinn. It's hard to trace exactly where the Japanese frames were made....most researchers just generalize.

Your bike looks exactly like my bike...slightly better paint on yours. I ditched the kickstand and bought alloy rims....but that left me with a rear hub not compatible with the OE freewheel. The OE crank set is alloy, but you could probably find better...I left mine on. I don't care if I have the 'gum look' tires, so I bought Trisports FlakJackets that wear like iron.

The bike was on my street with a FREE sign. Only thing missing was the seat. Very low mileage bike I found when I got into the BB....factory grease looked original. Haven't been inside the headset yet. Had it about 15yrs now. I have an extra Brooks B17 I may put on there for fun, but I'll lose my 'cushioning'....lol. .

In the 'Lightweight Schwinn' thread I figured out how to break the pedals apart. They are not the best quality to say the least.

Kevin

Last edited:
Back