When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn le tour upgrades

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Cooper S.

I live for the CABE
I picked up a 73-74 ish schwinn le tour and I want to upgrade it a little bit. I’ve got a few ideas but I’d like some second opinions.
First off: does anyone know if there’s a sealed bearing replacement for the bottom bracket
Second: I plan on converting the rear to a 6 or 7 speed; should I use a vintage suntour derailleur or a modern one?
Third: does anyone know how wide of tires I can fit on the arayas that came with the bike or the iso numbers for the rims?
Thank you and I’ll keep the build updated here.
72E4AE51-76E1-4211-87B1-527E9694D6C1.jpeg

433DEF7B-DF31-431E-BD62-E225ED99465D.jpeg

5588CFE5-95E8-4A1E-AF64-D07364278857.jpeg

43AF4A55-E418-4373-9647-EE406C3FA72D.jpeg

image.jpg

1 - There are lots of options for cartridge bottom brackets for your bike. None of them are necessary unless you just want that and your current unit is shot. I like the rebuildability of a caged ball and axle bottom bracket on road bikes. Mountain bikes are more prone to seeing mud and dust so sealed bb is nice.

2 - Suntour Derailleurs are great. Use it if you have it and it works with your gear range. If you're running a double chainring up front and the rear is 28 teeth or less you should be fine with a short cage or medium cage length derailleur.

3 - Your rims won't be the deciding factor on the width you can fit in your Letour as they are already pretty wide and could probably fit a 1.75" wide tire if they existed in 27". The distance between the chainstays will limit the tire size. If you're considering upgrading things, you might look at a wheelset with Alloy rims. changing sizes at this time is also an option. You could go with 700c and probably fit a bit wider tire still. You'll want to measure your axle spacing out back before deciding this route and either buy a wheelset with a hub that matches the axle spacing, or cold set the rear end to match your new axle spacing. If you don't know what axle spacing is, consult https://www.sheldonbrown.com/ He also has a lot of good articles on bike tech in general.

Back