When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Le Tour

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

whislar

On Training Wheels
Can anyone help me identify year?

SchwinnLeTour.jpg

SchwinnLeTourSN.jpg

I would think there should be a build date stamped in the head badge.

Bicycles from Japan will have serial numbers located on the left, rear axle hanger, on the bottom bracket shell or on the lower section of the headlug. The number will have a production month letter in either the first or second position and a production year number in the other (first or second) position. Examples: J677123 = September, 1976.

Is there a number on the right dropout?

1546571586078.png

Last edited:
Japan numbers again. But I'm still confused. No stamping in the headbadge? Sometimes it's really hard to see, so maybe take a picture of it and blow it up for viewing.

So the S was replaced with an I and the B is for Feb. and the year is 0 or 1980. My best hunch.

Quote from Re-Cycle:
The 1978-1983 Le Tour and Super Le Tour models had their serial numbers on the left rear axle hanger and many began with an 'S', followed by the Japan Made numbering system.

SJ306418 = September 1983

Here's the 1980 catalog. Match up the markings and the components to verify.
http://www.trfindley.com/flschwinn_1971_1980/index6.html

1546670550560.png

1546670585032.png

This one is a bit confusing but I think the 1Bxxxxx serial places the frame stamp in Feb. 1981. I know the first character doesn't match the 1 seen later in the number but I think that was a mistake as I don't believe they used two letters to start a serial number and the second character is definitely a letter. Here is another '81 where the second letter character was in fact an "i": https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-...appraisals/1007360-schwinn-serial-number.html

If the badge is original it will have a small 4-digit number stamp indicating the day the bike was built (look closer, it is there). Here is the '81 catalog page:

1981_05.jpg

Last edited:
Found it in the badge. Looks like 0421.

What does that mean?

What’s the value of the bike?

0AC7471F-2660-4C2A-B3DE-FC12637ADEE5.jpeg

Your bike was built on the 42nd day of 1981. I have no idea what these are worth or what they sell for, sorry.

I bought mine for $250 but it was clean and had a straight handlebars so I use mine for 99% of my rides. The tall frame is too high for Captain and The Boys to not be easily smashed during the occasional emergency stop because I am old and stubby. The bike is not defective but my giggly bits have become less reliable from extensive biking. I use to be able to hold up seven umbrellas no-handed but now I am old and stubby. I hope that this helps.

Last edited:
Back