When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn lemon peeler is seat original??

-

1937Zenith

Finally riding a big boys bike
This is my second post about this bike. I bought it 2 days ago and have started the cleaning process. My main question is how do I know if the seat is original? I know the 68 models had the white seat, mine also has the Schwinn made in USA tag. Underneath it is stamped persons USA permaco 6319. It had an inch of dust and grime but after wiping it down it looks amazing! Almost too good but that’s why i am looking to know any hints on how to authenticate the seat? After cleaning the grips seat, tires pedals and even the paint look very very nice on the bike but the chrome unfortunately suffered as you can see from the pics. I am still working on the chrome little by little and hopefully can get it looking a little more itself. I’m wondering if the bike just has low miles on it and the chrome suffered from being in a damp Chicago basement for 30+ years or if some of the parts are possibly repops. Any clues will be greatly appreciated. First pic is of the bike as I found it. The following are after a wipe down and the start of the cleaning

BA6A243C-5365-475C-B423-93C675990B6E.png

ECFA91EF-B01C-4094-80D9-36527D2257ED.jpeg

A31DA42A-00BD-472D-BF85-D712A28BCD84.jpeg

F9FCBB8F-340F-4D1D-BEB8-14B13A6232F2.jpeg

F235EC57-25A2-4D5B-998B-4B198317B1F9.jpeg

A690C3CF-4DED-4641-A220-3B49D1E3E6F7.jpeg

I think you found yourself a gem there. The important parts look to be in amazing condition. Why can’t I find bikes like this without breaking the bank?

Your seat is a Schwinn reproduction from 1998-99 ... Nice find! ...
... This is what a '68-'69 seat pan looks like ...

Last edited:
I think you found yourself a gem there. The important parts look to be in amazing condition. Why can’t I find bikes like this without breaking the bank?
Thanks yeah I was really excited when it popped up for sale and although it wasn’t cheap I am confident I got the better end of the deal :). They luckily pop up every now and then by me because I live just outside of Chicago. Like you said the major important parts are in good shape which I’m thankful for. The fenders unfortunately are goners as the actual plating has flaked off so I’m trying to figure out whether or not I want to get them re-plated or find a better example on eBay. I want to keep it as original as possible

View attachment 1406950

View attachment 1406949
View attachment 1406950

View attachment 1406949
so the 98 and 99s were made in USA? I am not sure if mine is original but I can’t imagine it being from 98 or 99

yep ... that's when they were repopped ... they did fenders ... springer front ends and shocks ... handlebars .. tires ... along with when the better coaster krates were being repopped ... in Taiwan ...

yep ... that's when they were repopped ... they did fenders ... springer front ends and shocks ... handlebars .. tires ... along with when the better coaster krates were being repopped ... in Taiwan ...
So you are saying the parts were made in USA but the frames were tiawan?

... Sorry ... parts and bikes all made in Taiwan ... good quality parts though ... can't say for sure about the seat ...

Back