When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Lightweight LOCKING Forks

-
I have a very early ("A" prefix) Superior that has that fender, in Burgandy, I think thats what it came on, The early Varsity's that I have seen , and the one I own, has a peaked front fender.
Excellent, Finally.
I know it doesn't go on this fork but I was thinking it fit on this type.
Is yours a locking fork?
Are the fender crimps for the fork legs or the caliper?
Thanks!!

Excellent, Finally.
I know it doesn't go on this fork but I was thinking it fit on this type.
Is yours a locking fork?
Are the fender crimps for the fork legs or the caliper?
Thanks!!
Mine does have the indents, it is slightly different from your example in that the fender is split in two pieces and joined at the top mounting bracket between the rivets, never noticed it before, also never seen any other that was split like this, original from factory.
I will post some pic's when I get home.

Thanks. I've seen a split one also. I saw these for sale awhile back somewhere and grabbed the pics for my search. They are specifically different in that the hangar is under the fender. I also dont see how splitting that second rivet is holding the two sides together. There must be something going on under not seen.
These are like yours ?

Last edited:
I HAVE AN ASSORTMENT OF SCHWINN LIGHTWEIGHT LOCKING BICYCLE FORKS.
ANY INTEREST LET ME KNOW AND I WILL TAKE PICS AND POST FOR YOU.

Thanks Wes. How many different kinds are there?
That would be very interesting at the least, and would be welcome effort.
hmmmm.

Thanks Wes. How many different kinds are there?
That would be very interesting at the least, and would be welcome effort.
hmmmm.
ARE YOU IN THE MARKET TO BUY SOME SCHWINN LIGHTWEIGHT FORKS?
IT DOES TAKE TIME AND EFFORT TO ARRANGE AND TAKE PICS.
CAN YOU GIVE ME AN IDEA, SAY PIC OF WHAT YOUR LOOKING FOR?
THANKS
WES

Last edited:
Wow! Are those all different in some way? I see they all have pinched tips. Have you seen any brazed pocket tip locking versions?
The one on the far left looks to be the same one I have. The Early 50's World Varsity perhaps.

Something I just got the answer to in relation to these lightweight lockers is about the lower head bearing cup and whether it is special for the lightweight locking fork.
In a different thread, GTs displayed a piece of Schwinn ephemera that showed the fork components and it specifically read "except Continental" for the lower locking bearing cup.
I just got a 47' Conti that came originally without a locking fork but the head tube has a machine cut notch in it at the downtube area inside.
These early ones were brazed frames with a slightly smaller head tube, so the head tube apparently doesn't have the slip lugs that the tubes are welded to on the heavier frames.
So that's why the Continental doesn't need a special lower bearing cup for the locking fork. I still haven't come across one on a bike. Id like to now see if the other lightweights have that same locking fork bearing cup. I've tried my fork on a standard frame/lower bearing cup and it locks in place with the pin extending into the downtube but it is pretty sloppy. It seems that it needs that special bearing cup sleeve to hold things tight when locked.

Thanks for those pics!

Back