When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Lightweight Meets Balloon Tire Kustom

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
-
I like it,has some wild lines . That must be a ton of work. What will the paint scheme be ? Going to be one nimble tank bike.

I would drop the tank and run it as an open frame. I think the design is a lot about lines, and you lose that with the tank.

Having a road bike sized frame with a tank is the driving force behind the whole effort. You never see that. Handlebars can always be changed but I really want drop bars, a first as far as I know with a tank bike. If it looks like what someone else already did then why bother. There are a few non negotiable ideas behind this. Actually the tank is a low quality reproduction that is itself causing me more work than would otherwise be. I plan on going with a variation of a phantom paint scheme. Lots of really good ideas on existing bikes so It's just a matter of picking colors. Although I'm thinking silver for most of it and either green or blue accents. Plenty of time to think about that and I would like to use some paints I already have. Silver and Flamingo?

I think the drops are interesting and part of the concept but what struck me as weird looking was the bend in the forks. At first I thought you swapped in some strange forks but I see from the above pics that you heated and bent them. I think the sharp bend looks out of place, the original bend flows more with the curves on the rest of the bike. But take that with a grain of salt, I'm very impressed with the whole project!

I think the drops are interesting and part of the concept but what struck me as weird looking was the bend in the forks. At first I thought you swapped in some strange forks but I see from the above pics that you heated and bent them. I think the sharp bend looks out of place, the original bend flows more with the curves on the rest of the bike. But take that with a grain of salt, I'm very impressed with the whole project!

The fork bend was out of necessity. The contour of the down tube was all wrong with the 27" wheel. The tire wasn't close to hitting but it was closer in one area that made it not look right. Trade off I suppose. Haven't completely given up on a springer idea. I have a reproduction springer on another bike. It looks nice but these things are cheaply made and are too flexible, makes for less than sure footed steering to be sure.

OK I see the need for the additional rake, if you could achieve it with a more gradual bend it would fit the curves on the frame much better.

A springer on the other hand would be awesome, but I'm not sure that will work without more customizing. I know the vintage #9858 springer fork box was marked "7" stem for 5-3/8" frame head" and I believe that also matches the dimensions of the 1980+ Deluxe Cruiser springer as well. From my measurements that would be the same frame head dimension as on a 21/22" EF frame, so it wouldn't be long enough for a 24" frame. I'm not sure you can just weld on a longer steerer tube without changing the other parts of the springer as well.

The springer. The style bars and stem I'm going with as well. Now that the springer is there I couldn't imagine the bike without it.

schwinn jaguar custom 002 (3).JPG

schwinn jaguar custom 004 (2).JPG

schwinn jaguar custom 005.JPG

MUCH better! Very nice! I take it that is a custom made springer? If so I am not worthy... :)

Last edited:
Back