When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Lightweight Pedal ID chart

-
That is a later 70s capless model, not easily rebuilt.

That post of Jeff's pedal just hit a cord. There was another change in the Bows after the 1966 style that had the cap change and the addition of the triangles in the side strap. My 69 has those. And 1971 ushered in the reflector pedals, so what pedals did the Tourist bikes use then? The square block pedals?

For your information, all but one set of these pedals in the first post do not have dates on them. There is a big 76 on one set of the Cecor's, I'm not sure if that's a date. I still need a good photo for the small cap bow pedals.

IIRC there are off a '71 SS. Notice the later style cage brace and end cap, but early style cages.

0e3291b8144510eec1b74a0c69c8a93c.jpg

Have any Ideas how I should date these? I suspect these were used on earlier bikes as well

Have any Ideas how I should date these? I suspect these were used on earlier bikes as well

I believe those were only seen in late '71 or early '72, which was the transition point between the 1st and 2nd gen. Atom 440 pedals, and they have elements of both.

I notice the 63 varsity's have what look like Union end caps, is this a factory Schwinn pedal?

Looking real good so far momo. The 1960 thru 1965 Varsity rat traps had the Union logo. For 1966 the rat traps also went to the small cap and it was detailed with the Schwinn approved logo. The early Schwinn Union rat traps have an angled down slot in the ends and you'll come across some Union pedals that look the same but the cut out slot is horizontal. I don't collect or get into too many bikes that were built after 1966-67 but I'm sure the rat traps took on many minor changes later on just like the Union made Bow pedals. The 1966 small cap Bow was a one year only, and I wouldn't be surprised if the 67 rat trap also had a non removable cap. There is a pedal thread in Shop Talk at the SBF, a sticky, but that thread went to hell even though Pedalsnostalgia has laid out some good info. I removed over 3000 of my postings along with many pictures from that site after my 2 week suspension and then I was permanently banned shortly after so I couldn't finish the job. Almost all my pictures are gone and all that work was washed down the river. I did remove my Corvette Registry list but I didn't have the heart to delete the material in that thread.

Here Is the SBF's pedal chart. http://www.schwinnbikeforum.com/index.php?topic=11642.0

And here is the one year only 1967 Bow pedal as Jeff, pedalsnostalgia, explains. http://www.ebay.com/itm/191790800149?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
I posted a picture of these on the SBF chart when GWLW (Gary Wold) had them for sale. rfeagleye must have bought them!

That post of Jeff's pedal just hit a cord. There was another change in the Bows after the 1966 style that had the cap change and the addition of the triangles in the side strap. My 69 has those. And 1971 ushered in the reflector pedals, so what pedals did the Tourist bikes use then? The square block pedals?
Hmm..interesting, I always thought these were a transition thing in the 70s change over, features of both styles. Kinda like the atoms above.

From what I've seen 10-speed lightweights didn't get pedals with reflectors until sometime early in '72.

From what I've seen 10-speed lightweights didn't get pedals with reflectors until sometime early in '72.
My KG 71 Suburban 5 has reflector bows. Im thinkin more 71. From browsing google I see some Suburban 3s with and without reflectors.

My KG 71 Suburban 5 has reflector bows. Im thinkin more 71. From browsing google I see some Suburban 3s with and without reflectors.

OK, I think we are both right. This was apparently a mid-'71 transition for many models however from my observations the higher end lightweights (e.g. Continental, Super Sport, Sports Tourer and Paramount) with Atom, KKT or Campagnolo pedals didn't get them until '72.

I consulted my coveted Schwinn Dealer "News Flash" bulletins and found Schwinn Dealer News Flash 1971 #17 dated 8/13/71, which stated:

"REFLECTORIZED PEDALS - The substitution of reflectorized pedals for standard pedals on several adult models began about two months ago and will be slowly phased into the entire line as increased pedal shipments are received from our supplier. The use of reflectorized pedals was recommended in the BMA-6 standards and has been adopted by all manufacturers, both foreign and domestic. We originally ordered white reflectors for Schwinn pedals in accordance with BMA standards and these pedals were received from our supplier before the state of California passed a law specifying amber reflectors. BMA subsequently changed to the amber reflectorized pedals after we had been using the white reflectorized pedals. In accordance with the new standard, we will hearafter supply the amber reflector and use them throughout the line as they are received. These pedals are available from Schwinn Agents now, or will be very soon, and if you wish to change over any bicycles in your stock, please order direct from your Schwinn Agent in the usual manner."​

Back