When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Lightweight Solid And Qr, Axles, Cones, 26 Tpi And Metric

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
This is one of those cases when I will know more than the "experienced mechanic". Thanks for the advice but that is never an option for me on something this simple.

Certainly didn't mean to impugn your talent or knowledge, but sometimes the experience of others who have been through it all many times before can save us the trouble and expense of buying the wrong parts. Those people will also probably know where to find the right parts.

Certainly didn't mean to impugn your talent or knowledge, but sometimes the experience of others who have been through it all many times before can save us the trouble and expense of buying the wrong parts. Those people will also probably know where to find the right parts.

I know you want to help. Thank You! Call me crazy but I think of asking for outside help on anything mechanical as a personal failure. I just don't do it unless it calls for expensive equipment that makes no sense to buy to finish a job. There is no excuse anymore to not figure things out for yourself with the internet.

I don't know what you guys think, but I view this as a do it yourself forum above all else. We help each other never need service at a bike shop.

I know you want to help. Thank You! Call me crazy but I think of asking for outside help on anything mechanical as a personal failure. I just don't do it unless it calls for expensive equipment that makes no sense to buy to finish a job. There is no excuse anymore to not figure things out for yourself with the internet.

I don't know what you guys think, but I view this as a do it yourself forum above all else. We help each other never need service at a bike shop.
I'm with you 100%,with the internet you can pretty much learn to do anything for yourself .Much of my enjoyment in this hobby comes from doing my own work . Nothing against shops or their mechanics,they are good for folks who choose not to tackle their own projects . I am way to meticulous to trust someone to do my work.Shop mechanics don't have the luxury of limitless time to spend on a project like I do. I can spend all the time I need until I am 100 percent satisfied I have things as perfect as possible.

This stuff is high quality. I just replace axles and cones and don't bother with all that Schwinn TPI nonsense.l

fattyre, if you have worked out an axle and cone replacement with part numbers for Schwinn Lightweights, let us know!

I did look at that website and I have not given up on it yet. I found what I needed that more closely matched the Schwinn parts on Ebay. There is a guy selling a NOS supply of cones in many metric threaded sizes.. Should have them in a few days. Unfortunately he only had two left of the rear cones that matched my needs. There are more fronts available. I'll let everyone know how they fit once I get them. They should be spot on.

The Schwinn Store on Ebay has fronts and rear complete with axles for $29 and $34 shipped. Wheels MFG prices the cones a $9 each plus shipping and they are not a perfect match. In this case I'd go with the Schwinn Store.

Does anyone know what the application for these Schwinn part #'s are? I'm thinking a 70's Super Sport and Continental rear would be a longer axle than say for a Sports Tourer or 70's Superior.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SCHWINN-BIC...hash=item1c064db489:m:mp3PcQrcS8eEqpcuEUr_Tjg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SCHWINN-BIC...D-BIKEs-NOS-/151370328179?hash=item233e5fe873

Last edited:
Does anyone know what the application for these Schwinn part #'s are?

What are the part numbers for those listings? As you can see from the parts catalog pages I posted above, the p/n for a front quick-release axle set is 33 150 and the rear is 33 151.

I'm thinking a 70's Super Sport and Continental rear would be a longer axle than say for a Sports Tourer or 70's Superior.

All of the "Made in France" quick-release large flange hubs used the same axle sets. Those hubs were used on the Continental, Super Sport, Sports Tourer and Superior.

What are the part numbers for those listings? As you can see from the parts catalog pages I posted above, the p/n for a front quick-release axle set is 33 150 and the rear is 33 151.

All of the "Made in France" quick-release large flange hubs used the same axle sets. Those hubs were used on the Continental, Super Sport, Sports Tourer and Superior.

Wouldn't the Super Sport and the Continental that used the derailleur hanger off the axle require a longer axle? Where as the Sports Tourer and Superior had a built onto the frame dropout hanger that would not require a longer axle. This is an assumption on my part.

The part number was not readable on the rears, this is what it is per the Schwinn Stores reply, # 33147

Front #33146

Last edited:
This stuff is high quality. I just replace axles and cones and don't bother with all that Schwinn TPI nonsense.l

Have you worked out any Schwinn applications to share with us using the source you mentioned for axles and cones?

Am I a jerk for asking this question?

fattyre, if you have worked out an axle and cone replacement with part numbers for Schwinn Lightweights, let us know!

I simply took the old axles and cones and matched them as close as I could to Wheels Manufacturing cones and axles. I remember having to shorten the front one a bit. Not sure if I did that because they didn't offer the right length or that's all that was in stock (I worked in a bike shop at the time). I replaced some washers with non keyed ones and filed keys off others. I spaced everything as close as I could to original and used higher quality Shimano jam nuts as well. I also aligned drop outs with a Park Tools drop out aligner. Everything fit together really well. I have no idea what what any part numbers were.

I did this at least 15 years ago to a 70's Super Sport that I had for a short time. I have since sold that bike. I replaced those parts because the stuff was stronger than stock, much higher quality and was being proactive because (rear) axle replacement is a somewhat common repair for freewheel equipped bikes.

... was being proactive because (rear) axle replacement is a somewhat common repair for freewheel equipped bikes.

Don't know about the axle replacement, but on almost all of these wheelsets that I've worked on, the front cones are pitted and need replacement. The rear cones are usually ok. I think Campagnolo did a good thing by upsizing their front bearings to 7/32".

Back