When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Madison

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Pretty sure the 2000s era bikes had 1 1/8" steerer tubes, vintage ones were 1" threaded. Looks like the chrome fork on your bike is not one of the newer straight blade forks either. Post up some better pics, does it have a headset and what size is it?

I had those chromed. I don't have the bicycle right now. Will get more photos. Thanks!

My million mile madioson.

IMG_0013.JPG
IMG_0009.JPG

The frame is made of Columbus "tenax" double butted chrome-moly steel tubing brazed at lugged joints.
It will not have date codes on the headbadge as I've learned this stamp coding was used on Japanese made frames. Your badge is likely (but who knows) original to the frame and reads "chicago" along the bottom.
Badge, design and Serial number Sc6...... tells me it is a Limited Production Schwinn frame made march '86 by a former school teacher named joseph* just before his lunch break.
Found some info on the googles that outlines how production of the Madison, along with a handful of other lightweight models, will move to Greensville plant for 1986.
Those decals are likely not correct according to the 1986 Schwinn catalog.
Anyway, cool bike; looks like a dope workshop.

*the story of Joseph the former school teacher was fabricated

Last edited:
The frame is made of Columbus "tenax" double butted chrome-moly steel tubing brazed at lugged joints.
It will not have date codes on the headbadge as I've learned this stamp coding was used on Japanese made frames. Your badge is likely (but who knows) original to the frame and reads "chicago" along the bottom.
Badge, design and Serial number Sc6...... tells me it is a Limited Production Schwinn frame made march '86 by a former school teacher named joseph* just before his lunch break.
Found some info on the googles that outlines how production of the Madison, along with a handful of other lightweight models, will move to Greensville plant for 1986.
Those decals are likely not correct according to the 1986 Schwinn catalog.
Anyway, cool bike; looks like a dope workshop.

*the story of Joseph the former school teacher was fabricated

Sorry to inform you, but that is not true. I think Joseph was pulling your leg when he told you that. ;)

Sorry to inform you, but that is not true. I think Joseph was pulling your leg when he told you that. ;)

Oh ya, the mass produced frames featured codes on the headbadges sometime in the 70's too. I didnt consider that. But did any of the limited production Schwinns made domestically have codes on the badge?
Also, with the exception of the prelude, passage and (super)Letour, I learned that Japanese serial numbers consisted of a letter and number at the beginning of the sequence. This frame number begins with two letters.

Last edited:
Krautwaggen owning one I can tell you it is a Columbus tubing steel framed bike. It Is TIG welded. Roger
the new version? Ah. I saw one in a shop a few years back and thought it was aluminum. Cool that it's steel. I wish they would have made the little 500 bikes this way.

Back