When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

schwinn maroon paint

-

edselcat2000

'Lil Knee Scuffer
hello what is the closest modern paint that people are using for that 1940 Schwinn maroon color ? thx

b554d0a94cea0b9874cd17b8cbdf9152--vintage-bicycles-auction.jpg

Dupliccolor,(Ford) Dark Canyon Red.
It’s an exact match.
The Ivory color varies quite a bit from bike to bike/year to year, but I’ve found that, Duplicolor, Wimbledon White, or Sante Fe Tan, are pretty close, depending on the variation.
Good quality automotive grade paint, in an aerosol can.

Last edited:
Dupliccolor,(Ford) Dark Canyon Red.
It’s an exact match.
The Ivory color varies quite a bit from bike to bike/year to year, but I’ve found that, Duplicolor, Wimbledon White, or Sante Fe Tan, are pretty close, depending on the variation.
Good quality automotive grade paint, in an aerosol can.
hello what is the closest modern paint that people are using for that 1940 Schwinn maroon color ? thx

View attachment 1720325
Why not paint it two tone green or two tone blue?

B093A1D9-2A22-48CE-B1EF-26BE124C521E.png

Ford Dark Canyon red is very close to Schwinn maroon without aging. That is if you want fresh dark red.

If you're trying to match oxidized dark red, it gets trickier. I've had bikes where it turns more to a brown color, and some where it turns to a black cherry type color. It seems to depend on the bike's storage life. I match these colors by adjusting a mixture of Testor's black enamel (usually semi-gloss or flat, depending on how glossy what I am matching is) and Testor's gloss dark red. The last bike I did was 20 parts dark red to 1 part flat black. The mixture has to be tuned based on each bike. The matching is done based on dried samples (don't try to match wet paint to dry).

Back