When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn middleweight fenders

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Yup, and different depths. The 1963 stainless fenders on the Jags and Corvettes were also different then the fenders on this 1962 parts sheet.

1596852582225.png

Is that sheet only for 1962 models? It makes the chrome fenders wider than the painted ones. I've been looking at old pics on the cabe over the last few days, and it seems to be the other way around. Am I missing something?

Is that sheet only for 1962 models? It makes the chrome fenders wider than the painted ones. I've been looking at old pics on the cabe over the last few days, and it seems to be the other way around. Am I missing something?

I would have to assume that sheet is for 1962 and earlier models. I know that the Stainless fenders on the Corvettes and Jags were downsized starting with the 1963 models. And from my experience, there is no way you're going to be able to tell if a fender is 5/16" smaller or larger by looking at pictures of a fender on a bike. At least I can't. Deeper fenders yes, you can tell a difference but not the width.

Did Schwinn make middleweight fenders in more than one width?

There's also fenders for the 55 "Balloon" S2 wheel Deluxe Hornet. At 3" they're narrower than standard 3-1/4" heavy weights and slightly wider than the middleweights. 'In-betweeners' er somtin..

I mean, when ya see em, U ain't gonna stop asking: 'Wait, is it middle or heavyweight?'.

55 deluxe hornet.JPG

Last edited:
I have 2-7/16" wide Walds on my 61 speedster. They literally swim around in the forks and frame with no clearance dents.

The painted middleweight fenders I have seen on several bikes on this site, including rollfaster's green 61 Speedster that he posted in my Speedster thread have dimples to clear the frame and forks, and appear to need those dimples.

I just measured my 61 Speedster frame and it is 2-1/2" in-between the seat stays. The fork is more like 2-9/16". If those dimples are 1/4" deep, and they look to be at least that, the fenders must be about 3" wide.

I looked at a stat sheet for a 1959 Speedster and it shows that the fender # for it is 5102. The fenders that came with the bike are 2-3/4" wide, painted w/ stripe, and holes drilled for two braces. They also have reliefs for the front forks.
There is no 5102 on the chart that is shown above in post #2 BUT there is a #5102F. It fits the description of the fender that I measured but the 5102F is chrome plated.
Was the 5102 discontinued into 1962 when this chart is dated?
Could there have been different fenders fitted on bikes with different hubs (coaster, 2 speed, 3 speed) ?

Could there have been different fenders fitted on bikes with different hubs (coaster, 2 speed, 3 speed) ?

As many pics as I have looked at over the last few days, I can answer that. Yes. Caliper brakes on 3 speeds had a different fender mounting arrangement involving the caliper and an "L" bracket. There were most likely clearance dents for the caliper too...

My 61 speedster 2 speed mounts the front fender with a screw through the bottom, vertically. No "L" bracket.

Last edited:
I looked at a stat sheet for a 1959 Speedster and it shows that the fender # for it is 5102. The fenders that came with the bike are 2-3/4" wide, painted w/ stripe, and holes drilled for two braces. They also have reliefs for the front forks.
There is no 5102 on the chart that is shown above in post #2 BUT there is a #5102F. It fits the description of the fender that I measured but the 5102F is chrome plated.
Was the 5102 discontinued into 1962 when this chart is dated?

The F designates chrome throughout Schwinn's parts lists. I'm thinking that sheet does not go into great detail mentioning every part available and the 5102 would be the painted version of the 5102F, just not mentioned.

@bloo The fenders for both caliper and non caliper bikes of the same model are the same. The coaster models use the punched out hole for direct mounting and caliper bikes use that one mounting hole to attach the L bracket for the mounting.

Back