When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn middleweight ID

-
4 models available that year and all offered in black. Only 2 had the chrome fork crown, Panther and HD. Panther should have a tank, I don't see tank mounts in your pics.

You beat me to it!!!!! 🤣

Process of elimination. Looks like there were only 4 middleweight 26" boys models available during 1968. Now that we have the SN the guessing game is a breeze. All four models were available in Black, the Panther was a tank model with hangers on the top bar. There were two Typhoons but the Typhoon did not come with the chrome fork crown. Then there's the Heavy Duty that came with that seat hd spokes and front hub, chrome fenders and fork crown. So a HD it is.

Araya S7? I know we have discussed them. Are they on both wheels?
I have a 20 inch set of the Araya S-7s it looks like he has both. What is date on crank and fork? Do they match? Would a '68 HD have a CT stamped crank like my '65? Matching dated parts would just about seal it as a HD.

“Heavy Duty” bikes had painted fenders, all other models had chrome plated ones.

Back