When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn new world

-

Big Moe

I live for the CABE
Do this look to be prewar or postwar. Thinking about getting it. Would appreciate the help.

s-l400 (1).jpg

s-l400 (2).jpg

s-l400 (3).jpg

s-l400 (4).jpg

s-l400 (5).jpg

s-l400 (6).jpg

Pre war. Possible 1941 with the new dropout. @SirMike1983 should be able to verify.

I think so too - 1940 or 41 tourist frame converted to a makeshift racer probably. Looks like it was overpainted, unfortunately. The really early ones have backward-facing rear forks. There was also a dedicated New World racer package, but this looks like a converted tourist.

[QUOTE=" There was also a dedicated New World racer package.[/QUOTE]
I'd like to see the specs for that, if available. I have a New World that allegedly was a velodrome rental bike- three piece bottom bracket, aluminum Schwinn hubs, fixie , flip flop stem, drop bars and geared to something like 90 inches. I SHOULD measure the wheelbase, etc. but it has been a very back burner project. I do remember seeing in a Schwinn catalog that any Superior or Paramount components could be ordered on a New World.

Here is a link to a New World Racer catalog page: http://www.trfindley.com/flschwinn_1893_1940/1939_nw02.html

The earliest Racer versions came with the rear-facing dropouts, but I have seen later (but still pre-war) versions with the forward-facing drops. The key identifiers for legit New World Racers are: frame chain stay crossbar is closer to the bottom bracket (less clearance as the Racer wouldn't have fenders like a Tourist model); the steeper fork with less rake (often without drilling in the crown for a brake); and the special crank on the one-piece crank models (the W1-R). The crank and chainring have subtle differences to the standard ones...no dog-leg offset for a guard, flutes on the arms, and an offset chainring for inch-pitch chains.

new world crank.jpg

Back