When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Newbie

-
E

EV2AAR

Hey Folks,
Just getting back into the hobby, I always had Schwinns as a kid and loved my Apple Krate until it was stolen. I recently picked up a red Stingray 5 speed. The bike isn't perfect so I wanted to do a few things to it . First I would like to put a stick shift on it instead of the handle bar shifter, there were a few on E-Bay ....I assume I need the shifter and cable. What is an overload tube , it was mentioned in the add. Is there anything else I would need ? I would also like to put a slick tire on the rear.

Are there any other sources other than Ebay to purchase these items.
Thanks Pete

I'm not really sure what you are talking about (overload tube)?? but it sounds like maybe the smaller tubes that run across the top of a (Cantilever bicycle frame) and i'm just guessing your asking this question about overload tube because thats how it was described in a description from a epay auction.. if it is i would suggest getting all the info about the shifter and the bicycle your going to put it on and ask the seller as many questions as possible before you buy it ... there is nothing worst when getting something through the mail and it doesn't fit and there is no refund.. good luck

post some pictures of what you got that really helps us out when we try to help others out makes it easier and you will get alot more feed back..

Last edited:
Overload tube

Hi,The o/l tube rests just behind the housing on Schwinn Stick-Shifters,found on Sting-Rays. It has a nipple that nests in a hole in the housing. It contains a spring that stretches instead of the cable when the shifter is pulled too far down to low gear. This this minimizes "overload" on the cable. I think you need to use one if you're using a Schwinn cable.I have a service manual and will post a pic. or two later today.

Pat

Last edited:
Back