When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn or not a Schwinn?

-

Pedal Power!

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Hello all!
This has come up and to be honest, I can't tell if it's a Schwinn. I requested more pics and am patiently awaiting them.....
From what I can gather, the Schwinn Tandems post war were rather ridged geometry and not the 'balloon style' (for lack of better terminology) bicycle framework. Any help would be appreciated!

55644708_10157326231343296_8969469968500391936_n.jpg

Hello fordmike65,
Thanks for the lightening quick response. I tell ya, I was thinking that and perhaps I'm not so well versed but it's a good looking build at that. I did see the stars on the chain ring and thought - AMF or Roadmaster? Also the chain rings are different which is very telling.......

It may not be fully standard but most of the tandems I've seen in person (and that's two, a Twinn and a more recent and modern non-Schwinn) have a smaller chainring in the rear and you have a Schwinn one up front, the rear with the stars is not from that time either IIRC, my Higgens Flightliner originally had one and it was swapped out for the correct sprocket before @irideiam sent it.

And offhand, is that a ROLLFAST sticker on the front seat tube?

I don't believe you are the first to find this bike here either, it's confused others.

Hello Saving Tempest,
Thank you for the response. The bike is up for sale locally as a Schwinn and I had intentions of buying. Hopefully, the requested pics will be in soon. You mention it's been on the CABE, prior to my listing - that's very curious. The head badge seems to be wider than a Schwinn as a quick observation.
The closest thing of any similarity on the net was a CWC/Roadmaster/AMF bike. Very close but not exact, match. Hhhhmmmmm....

Front end appears to be a Schwinn! Tubing, fork, truss rods and crank all point to that. Might be fun if it's well built and cheap.

Hello Saving Tempest,
Thank you for the response. The bike is up for sale locally as a Schwinn and I had intentions of buying. Hopefully, the requested pics will be in soon. You mention it's been on the CABE, prior to my listing - that's very curious. The head badge seems to be wider than a Schwinn as a quick observation.
The closest thing of any similarity on the net was a CWC/Roadmaster/AMF bike. Very close but not exact, match. Hhhhmmmmm....

Schwinn didn't use the oval badges until well after the war IIRC.

Thank you, BFGforme, Saving Tempest & buses & bikes for the input. I'm still waiting on pics and when received, I'd like to share them as well in hopes of aiding someone else who comes across such oddities.

Right then! Pics as promised.......
Please note the bulbous welding from the descending top tubes onto the seat post. Fordmike 65 notised it straight away - good call!
Thank you for everyone's input - I certainly appreciate the help!

53923204_297445890951510_1487950196603092992_n.jpg

54430414_387603405404167_7669220605920542720_n.jpg

Back