Schwinn & Other Brand Studded / Knobby Balloon Spitfire Klunker MTB Cruiser 26 x 2.125 Tires

koolbikes

Finally riding a big boys bike
As the Schwinn 26" Spitfire, Klunker, Cruiser & MTB Bicycles that used these tires are getting more collectible the Original Schwinn Studded Balloon Tires are getting "hard to find" in any of the three forms Black-Wall, White-Wall, Gum-Wall. There are many reproduction tires (China-made) with the Studded / Knobby tread pattern, some are better quality than others. Various brands that I have found in Black-Wall & White-Wall are Chen Shin, Kenda, Duro, UltraCycle, Sunlite, Fenix (Wanda), Carlisle (CST), Better Quality with "anti-puncture tech" are Bell & Blackburn.
The only company offering Gum-Wall right now is Fenix (Wanda).

What tires are you using and your thoughts on the quality?

Any other brands available that are known of?

Is there a demand?

Schwinn reproduced "classic" tires for the Balloon, Middleweights and Sting-ray bicycles but what is your thoughts on the reproduction of the Schwinn Studded Balloon Tires in the three forms.
Would you purchase if they were available?

Xlobsterman

I live for the CABE
As the Schwinn 26" Spitfire, Klunker, Cruiser & MTB Bicycles that used these tires are getting more collectible the Original Schwinn Studded Balloon Tires are getting "hard to find" in any of the three forms Black-Wall, White-Wall, Gum-Wall. There are many reproduction tires (China-made) with the Studded / Knobby tread pattern, some are better quality than others. Various brands that I have found in Black-Wall & White-Wall are Chen Shin, Kenda, Duro, UltraCycle, Sunlite, Fenix (Wanda), Carlisle (CST), Better Quality with "anti-puncture tech" are Bell & Blackburn.
The only company offering Gum-Wall right now is Fenix (Wanda).

What tires are you using and your thoughts on the quality?

Any other brands available that are known of?

Is there a demand?

Schwinn reproduced "classic" tires for the Balloon, Middleweights and Sting-ray bicycles but what is your thoughts on the reproduction of the Schwinn Studded Balloon Tires in the three forms.
Would you purchase if they were available?

From what I remember, Schwinn used Carlisle tires, and possibly Uniroyal's (?) on the earlier models, the California Cruiser, Klunker5, and the first Spitfires, before they used their branded Schwinn Studded Balloon's.

And yes I would buy them if they were good quality???

koolbikes

Finally riding a big boys bike
I didn't start this post to FiSh for Schwinn Studded Balloon Tires but if you have some available you can PM me.
I'm really trying to get a consensus on what is available, quality, what tires not to purchase.
And yes, I would purchase reproduction Schwinn Studded Balloon Tires also if they were good quality.
I purchased a couple pairs of the Wanda Fenix Gum-Wall 26" x 2.125" Tires and the quality seems good, real gum-wall. I'm not a real big fan of the gum-walls but on the right bike they look good.

Jorgesk8erdie

Look Ma, No Hands!
I didn't start this post to FiSh for Schwinn Studded Balloon Tires but if you have some available you can PM me.
I'm really trying to get a consensus on what is available, quality, what tires not to purchase.
And yes, I would purchase reproduction Schwinn Studded Balloon Tires also if they were good quality.
I purchased a couple pairs of the Wanda Fenix Gum-Wall 26" x 2.125" Tires and the quality seems good, real gum-wall. I'm not a real big fan of the gum-walls but on the right bike they look good.
i think the cheng shien good year tread are good with a psi of sixty five

Dave Stromberger

I'm Afraid I Can't Let You Do That
System Administrator
Good thread! I was wondering these same things. Where did you get your Fenix Gumwalls? I would like to buy a pair.