When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn & Other Brand Studded / Knobby Balloon Spitfire Klunker MTB Cruiser 26 x 2.125 Tires

-

koolbikes

I live for the CABE
As the Schwinn 26" Spitfire, Klunker, Cruiser & MTB Bicycles that used these tires are getting more collectible the Original Schwinn Studded Balloon Tires are getting "hard to find" in any of the three forms Black-Wall, White-Wall, Gum-Wall. There are many reproduction tires (China-made) with the Studded / Knobby tread pattern, some are better quality than others. Various brands that I have found in Black-Wall & White-Wall are Chen Shin, Kenda, Duro, UltraCycle, Sunlite, Fenix (Wanda), Carlisle (CST), Better Quality with "anti-puncture tech" are Bell & Blackburn.
The only company offering Gum-Wall right now is Fenix (Wanda).

What tires are you using and your thoughts on the quality?

Any other brands available that are known of?

Is there a demand?

Schwinn reproduced "classic" tires for the Balloon, Middleweights and Sting-ray bicycles but what is your thoughts on the reproduction of the Schwinn Studded Balloon Tires in the three forms.
Would you purchase if they were available?

As the Schwinn 26" Spitfire, Klunker, Cruiser & MTB Bicycles that used these tires are getting more collectible the Original Schwinn Studded Balloon Tires are getting "hard to find" in any of the three forms Black-Wall, White-Wall, Gum-Wall. There are many reproduction tires (China-made) with the Studded / Knobby tread pattern, some are better quality than others. Various brands that I have found in Black-Wall & White-Wall are Chen Shin, Kenda, Duro, UltraCycle, Sunlite, Fenix (Wanda), Carlisle (CST), Better Quality with "anti-puncture tech" are Bell & Blackburn.
The only company offering Gum-Wall right now is Fenix (Wanda).

What tires are you using and your thoughts on the quality?

Any other brands available that are known of?

Is there a demand?

Schwinn reproduced "classic" tires for the Balloon, Middleweights and Sting-ray bicycles but what is your thoughts on the reproduction of the Schwinn Studded Balloon Tires in the three forms.
Would you purchase if they were available?

From what I remember, Schwinn used Carlisle tires, and possibly Uniroyal's (?) on the earlier models, the California Cruiser, Klunker5, and the first Spitfires, before they used their branded Schwinn Studded Balloon's.

And yes I would buy them if they were good quality???

I didn't start this post to FiSh for Schwinn Studded Balloon Tires but if you have some available you can PM me.
I'm really trying to get a consensus on what is available, quality, what tires not to purchase.
And yes, I would purchase reproduction Schwinn Studded Balloon Tires also if they were good quality.
I purchased a couple pairs of the Wanda Fenix Gum-Wall 26" x 2.125" Tires and the quality seems good, real gum-wall. I'm not a real big fan of the gum-walls but on the right bike they look good.

I didn't start this post to FiSh for Schwinn Studded Balloon Tires but if you have some available you can PM me.
I'm really trying to get a consensus on what is available, quality, what tires not to purchase.
And yes, I would purchase reproduction Schwinn Studded Balloon Tires also if they were good quality.
I purchased a couple pairs of the Wanda Fenix Gum-Wall 26" x 2.125" Tires and the quality seems good, real gum-wall. I'm not a real big fan of the gum-walls but on the right bike they look good.
i think the cheng shien good year tread are good with a psi of sixty five

Good thread! I was wondering these same things. Where did you get your Fenix Gumwalls? I would like to buy a pair.

Back