When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Oval Grip Design - Need your help

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
So I am seeing 4 main variants in all the above pictures:
1. "Round" oval with more slanted letters - what I put on my 41 for now because I found a decent pair for cheap (see photo below)​
2. "Round" oval with less slanted letters, what Gary is calling 40/41 above, and he could be correct (bear with me)​
3. "Pointy" oval with the single line final "N" swoop thing​
4. "Pointy" oval with the wedge shape final "N" swoop thing​

I'm almost positive one of the "Round" ones has to be the 40/41 style because it is similar to the prewar Goodrich grips of the same era (not offered postwar right?). The version with the more slanted letters look more similar to the Goodrich font to me than the ones I think most consider to be the prewar version as Gary indicates above. Here is the Goodrich grip for reference, guess who has the best one I've ever seen:

And here is what I am rolling that I think looks like the Schwinn counterpart and what is pictured in the 40/41 catalog:

This one isn't a pointy oval, but doesn't have the round "C" like the ones I posted above, as well as Gary on the postwar DX and 40/41 labelled pics.

Am I seeing things? What does everyone else see across all these versions?

Lets throw in another possible version. The style worn by this 1961 Spitfire. I have yet to find one of these oval 60's grips but I'm keeping my eyes open. [ LMAO...............

1584675301169.png

Interesting, that they came in brown as well.
The catalog doesn’t mention anything about color matched grips, but the first generation Sports Tourist Paramount, came with a brown glove leather saddle.
Hmmmm!
Possibly something to keep an eye out for?
Not shown on the bikes but still available in the parts catalog in black and brown.

Yeah, I know.
Good luck!

I have cherry red ones from Bicyclebones on Darla, they were new and replaced the ones it didn't have IIRC.

I put green glitter grips on my '95.

Here’s the soft (foam type) rubber compound of the 1938-41 Sports Tourist model

The pictures can’t show it, but, these unusual grips are still very soft and pliable after all these years.

Here’s the soft (foam type) rubber compound of the 1938-41 Sports Tourist model
The pictures can’t show it, but, these unusual grips are still very soft and pliable after all these years.
Most likely never seen before (by most). I surely haven't come across them, only the dense rubber type. Adding some context: "cushion grip, deep sponge rubber pad."
1939_05.jpg

Updating this thread...dusting off the file I was working on. Not great pics for some of these, but it captures all the variants I had found at the time. Some of the differences are very subtle. Hard part is putting dates time frames to these. I think the only way to really do that is to collectively look at our bikes and see what grips are on what bikes and what years. Order (left to right, top to bottom) was loosely placed in chronological order but not firm at all. Design A, B, C, D etc is just placed for reference to make callouts easier.

Schwinn_Script_Grip_Design.jpg

Back