When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Paint Process

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Another way to check for red primer is to look inside the head and/or seat tubes (it is much easier to see in the head). One way to see it via sanding without damaging any visible paint is to sand the paint inside the bottom bracket housing. I checked 15 flamboyant frames dating from '69 through '78 and all had red primer.

Besides the information in that Reporter article there were also the infamous "Quality Demonstration" boards detailing the "four step" paint process that were made by Schwinn for its dealers from the '50s through the '70s.

s-l1600.jpg

Finally the 1964 consumer catalog is to my knowledge the first year the consumer catalog mentioned the "4-coat" paint process and it continued to be mentioned in the catalog through '76. It does not make sense that Schwinn would add that information to the catalog in '64 if they weren't also priming frames at that time.

1964 catalog:
1964_0809.jpg

1976 catalog:
1976_05.jpg

Unfortunately I don't have access to any bikes from the early to mid-'60s but *every* '69 and later Chicago-built Schwinn I checked had been dipped in primer.

Last edited:
Okay now the rest of the bike?!

I just tore it down to start working on it, so not much to see right now. Lots of "patina". Typical for midwest bikes. We just don't seem to have many of the really nice cosmetic condition bikes that you guys in the west have.

P1000525 (Large).JPG

Besides the information in that Reporter article there were also the infamous "Quality Demonstration" boards detailing the "four step" paint process that were made by Schwinn for its dealers from the '50s through the '70s. Unfortunately I don't have access to any bikes from the early to mid-'60s but *every* '69 and later Chicago-built Schwinn I checked had been dipped in primer.

1969 Super Sport, Campus green 'Tourer' below, red primer, Alum and translucent green. In fact all of my 60's Schwinn's have primer red. Racer (2-stage blue), Hollywood (2-stage Blue),, Hornet (1 stage black), and American (2-stage red) the red is nearly always wherever there's a chip, so, as it looks so close to the rust just give it a good cleaning where it's chipped, then use big eyes too see. .

And I have a 1980, Ladies 10 speed collegiate, red, it's got primer, 2 step, alum and transparent red too. I been trying to touch up chips on it over 1 year.. silver undercoat with tiny, tiny brush, but can not find, although I thought I had one, (too dark) transparent or translucent red that comes close enough, to top it off.

However, I'm not so sure about the 95 black phantom. It's like a vinyl paint and rusts FAST at any chip, can not see any signs of primer. ;(

P2160576.JPG

Last edited:
Schwinn had some very cool colors, but my experience has been that Raleigh paint held up much better. In fact, I've struggled to find any bike with better paint durability than the 1940s-60s Raleighs.

I thought it was interesting that Schwinn thought it a good idea to prime the inner surface of the tubing. You would think with this heavy wall tubing it would never rust out even if left bare. Maybe laying in a swamp, but not with normal use. These bikes are heavy but they sure are well made. Probably the highest quality mass produced bikes ever. I think so.

I thought the rotating disc painting vid was pretty cool. Had no idea about this method of paint slinging.

Electrostatic painting is pretty amazing and very interesting to watch it being done. I was working on the final punch list for a new elementary school and someone at the last minute decided to change the color of all the metal fixtures in the main office. This included chair frames, file cabinets, light fixtures and everything else that was metal. The crew came in, did a quick wipe down of the pieces, mixed the paint, attached the clip to the item and then started puffing paint at the items. No drops, masking or covering anything. That was the first time I saw the process of electrostatic painting and couldn't believe what I was seeing.

Base Coat. I had a effervescent head light cover beat up in shipping a few years ago. Local auto paint supplier tried to shoot me a rattle can after hitting a few other flat spots on the bike to get a code but it isn't a good match. Later somewhere I read a "silver base coat" was needed to get the effervescent look, true?

Mike

OMG, are we still playing this "Gold" Nonsense? Jeez!.. Ur prob Gt is very simple. Unlike me, you don't own stupid crappy Opal red sun faded bike. Not to say I don't like the faded color B/C I do. Yet, also unlike me, (Once again I own one) you base opinion on photographs. Go buy that freaken faded 54-5 girl American Opel red faded bike, scratch the red candy off; and wake up to reality, aint no gold, sonny-boy. . Fact vs fiction?? Don't let the like hits 'I'm a wiz 'go to head as U no more a wiz; obsessing wit gold nonsense, than me are riding fricken Bluebird. duh.

Last edited:
Back