When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Paramount Aluminum Pro1.86kg frame Klein patent number 4500103

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Rocket Man

Look Ma, No Hands!
I would love for the experts to help me out here.
I was told this was made for a trade show, but was never put into production. Could this be true and if it is when would that have been?
There is a patent number on the seat post sticker. So I could look into that.
I would like to build it the way Schwinn intended. To that end, would it of had a Roller cam brake in the rear?
There is a small groove on one of the brake bosses, and I do not recognize that.
Tapered steering head bearing, special or not? Notice no seat post clamp, new for the time or not?
Happy to post more pics if needed, anybody out there seen another? Thanks for any help.

102_6212.JPG

102_6214.JPG

102_6219.JPG

102_6210.JPG

Last edited:
Thank you so much FT, I had done a google search with the words "Schwinn aluminum mountain bike" and got nothing that fit.
I will change the title to reflect what this is. Opps, cannot change the title, so it will stay the way it is. This would have been a more accurate title, "Vintage Schwinn Aluminum Pro 1.86kg" frame Klein patent number 4500103"

Now I know what components to put on it too.
How did you know, did you have one? Your putting a name to the bike open up all kinds of info.
It appears it has some Gary Klein DNA. Good stuff to read below.
Thank you again Fattyre, so glad I joined here.

6ddea0fc2c6d08a487d7efc7f6e3f630.jpg

Last edited:
I just realized that the groove in the brake boss double as one of the cable guides.
Now I am looking for a good pic of the underside that shows the riveted on brake and derailler guide that goes here.
Too make things a bit more difficult, the brake boss's are missing and the thread is 10 x 1.5 mm. Anything like this in your parts bins.
Thanks in advance for any help.

102_6214.JPG

Last edited:
ThankyouHow did you know, did you have one?

Just a bike geek lol. I got my first mtb in 1991. I was that kid who went and hung out at the bike shops after school. One was a Schwinn shop that always had some higher end bikes. So I vaguely remember that era. Sure wish I had kept all the catalogs I had collected. Tossed them by the end of high school. Doh!

My 1988 High Sierra has chainstay ubrakes. But different cable routing setup and Diacompe ad990. Pic posted maybe helpful. Good luck!

20220507_074637.jpg

20220507_074705.jpg

Hey J, thanks for that pic, that's very similar and I bet that would work. I did find some on ebay last night but I need (like yours) a 3 cable set up. No number on the head badge.
FT, o well, no catalogs, but now we have the web, not sure how we ever found any info before that.
This one is the closest ? but I feel like the brake cable is the one that need to be on center.
I wonder if there is a place that sells Schwinn parts like this and the brake boss's, long shot?

Screenshot (454).png

Screenshot (455).png

Screenshot (456).png

Last edited:
Are these the frames they called the Paramountains? I have them in a Schwinn book somewhere but I had a long day flogging my Z Master and my grass is not getting any shorter yet.
Awesome piece, any Paramount frame is a good find but the mountain bikes were especially nice.
Rob

Not sure about the "Paramountain" name Rob, but I like it. It is well made, as good as a Klein I would say.
Did a little layout on the cables. The cable are in yellow, If you can see them. Now I can see I need a guide like the one J sent pics of on his 1988 High Sierra, probably used the same part would make sense? But where to get one that is the question?
I found one in Hayward Ca, but they would not ship. Did find this on ebay. It may work? $20 to find out.
Notice the mounting hole is not off center, and it needs to be. Drill another hole maybe.

cable layout.jpg

small cable.jpg

Screenshot (456)small.png

Last edited:
Back