When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Phantom 1955

-
One hitch with my search is the bike is not for me. It is for my new FIL.
He was 10 in 1955.
He wants a "real one" and ironically it has to look like the reproduction from 1995. He showed me a pick of a 1995 and said he wants one that looks like that.
His memory of what he wanted (whatever that original image was from the 1950's) has been replaced by the image of the reproduction. That is how memory works.

Any bike in consideration will have to be viewed by my FIL to be sure it matches his idea of what it should look like.

Jeff54 you are spot on, I don't really know (and neither does my FIL) what I am looking for in technical terms. It is "I will know it when I see it."

Q: New or old style?
A: Whichever looks more like the 1995 reproduction.

I also think it is the "Minty-ness" of the reproductions that he likes. So I think if an "original" bike looked minty enough it could have numerous "technical problems" that me and my FIL will never see. I hope that is not too upsetting to you purisits.
Well there U go, solved. The 1995 is a pretty nice bike. It's colectible and recovering from low prices about 10 years ago in the $500 range. Their chrome leaves something to be desired as it's cheap compared to the 60's and below. However, most people keep them clean, polished and protected from the environment. So, nice and minty could be a couple of too $3,000. There were and maybe still some, in original boxes too, and Guess, those I've seen are less than 3k. Considering their original issue price was $3,000, it could be considered a Bargen on your end.

Your main drawback is, finding an original complete verses something pieced together or fake paint job AND! Insuring, if shipped, seller is tight, right, honest and knows their business before U pay a penny. .

95's have excellent paint and exacting details. You will not find a repainted Schwinn bike that's as nice and durably painted as Schwinn made on the Black Phantom repops. Set your expense budget and shop away as, there be plenty of them around. Want Ad here, Ebay, FaceTook ,Craig's list or going to a bike show. Then, before U know it, Kazam you'll be airing up tires and kruzin in no time.

This is exactly what and why; the Colorado Rocky mountain high Schwinn firm wanted one for Christmas too. So, They built the best Phantoms from 1952 with exacting details and targeted December 1994 Christmas as the release date to celebrate 100 years in 1995 'Centennial' anniversary. An mid-1950's dream come true. .

Merry post 1955 Christmas as, it'll be everything your friend has dreamed of. 🙃

Last edited:
They are not hard to find only if you will take any year. When you narrow down to one year only you certainly reduce the pool of candidates. I understand that all too well. I have been looking for a red 59 well over ten years. In fact I'm not even sure I'm still looking

They are not hard to find only if you will take any year. When you narrow down to one year only you certainly reduce the pool of candidates. I understand that all too well. I have been looking for a red 59 well over ten years. In fact I'm not even sure I'm still looking 👓
Good Day. How much would an original red 59 be worth. Please let me know thanks Bert......

Back