When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Phantom original paint info

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
You got a point there !!! I may have missed that part in the lengthy post …sorry Y”all ….✌️✌️🇺🇸Bob

Quick update on my journey to find "original" 1953 Schwinn phantom green paint. At the beginning of this process I mistakenly thought I could simply walk into a paint supply house and order original Schwinn paint. Nope... Many of you probably already knew that. But I had to find out the hard way. After some initial research, and realizing there are some rattle can original paint options, I decided to let a shop paint my frame.

Longer story short, the body shop had me pick up the paint at their local auto paint supply store. I walked into the paint store with the only original piece (chainguard) with paint on it still. To my surprise, they handed me a color wheel, we walked outside in the sun, and looked for a color match. No fancy laser camera to be read by a computer, electronic gizmo, just the naked eye and a color wheel. Mind you, I'm matching chainguard green paint from 1953. Bottom line I guess, it's all subjective judgement by my naked eye... PPG brand Essentials single stage paint.

The paint supply suggested the "satin" clear rattle can for the chainguard. To help bring it partially back to life. Wanted to pass along the current info. Hope it helps. I'll post a photo with the frame and tank after paint.

Final results are in...I picked up the painted frame and tank today from the shop and the color does NOT match the color on my green phantom chainguard. Quick reminder, I had a bare metal frame, serial number puts it 1953. Bare metal tank and a painted Phantom CG. Thought I could walk into a paint store and just pick the correct Schwinn color off of a shelf. Nope. Ended up at an auto paint supplier. They had ME do the color match with a color wheel and my CG.
Mixed feelings. I do like the frame color, but it's definitely NOT a match to the CG. Photos may not show it well, but Phantom decal is still legible. Mixed and matched parts, so I have NO idea what year bike the CG is from. Chalk all this up to yet another learning experience.

And of course still need to paint the 2 tone areas black, like the head tube, seat tube and have a local pinstripe gal do the striping... but here's the green. And here's photos of the paint. Essentials is a PPG automotive paint. Single stage.

Last edited:
Actually it looks pretty close to Coach green to me. The paint on the guard is probably a little dark from age and grime. Buff out a small section on the back of the guard and see how close you are.V/r Shawn

Back