When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Phantom Tail Light: OG or Repo?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

atencioee

Finally riding a big boys bike
Hello experts, I wanted to ask your help...is this tail light an Original (50s) or a Repo (90s onward)?

20190616_190447.jpg

20190616_190508.jpg

20190616_190523.jpg

20190616_190537.jpg

repro....or POSSIBLY an original shell someone installed repop lens etc...
I'd passsssss

I say repop.
I have one just like that. It has a " brake light " gizmo that uses a ball bearing that runs in a adjustable track to turn the light on and off. As far as I know, the only brake light that schwinn used was quite a bit different than that. I could be wrong, it has happened once or twice in my lifetime. ;)

Oh and they do make a repop without the brake thingy as well. I have one of those to. The other uses a switch similar to the ones that the rocket ray lights use, and not the slide switch like this one has.

Switch has pop rivets, never see that on OG.

Me either, but I haven't seen a few hundred of these either. ;) The outside also looks like it was painstakingly repainted to me. These tail/stop lights were used from somewhere in 1949 till at least the end of the 58 model year (Middleweight Jag) and possible stocked for the 59 model year Phantom just in case someone ordered one on their new Phantom? How many production runs and minor changes were there before the bitter end? I'd like to know when the slide switch came about. Was it when they ordered new stock in 1956 for the new Jag? By this time it wasn't a standard item on the Phantom but it was on the Jag.

Back