When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Phantom wheel Question

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

JOHN DANGER

Look Ma, No Hands!
I picked up a beat up Red Phantom a while back which had a front brake drum but was missing all the other brake parts and after chasing front drum brake parts I realized the parts to complete it will be more than the cost of the whole rest of the bike , so I decided to just fit a non drum front wheel and be done with it. I picked up a schwinn script knurled S2 for 5 bucks at a swapmeet but when I got it home I discovered that the stock rims were not knurled or S2s but had a more curved edge on the rims. there is almost no doubt that the rims are original to the bike so I guess my question is what front wheel should go on this thing was this an earlier Phantom rim , I have heard some early S2s were polished in plating which hid the knurling but I think these are just something else what gives?

Should I just lace my S2 script hub into the old matching rim?

17554266_10212188459091828_5548951035015341232_n.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600 (4).jpg

Interesting. Is the front brake hub marked Schwinn? What's the serial number, the bike may be earlier than a Phantom. And are the rims Tubular?

I agree on it maybe being a Lobdell because of the shape it is. Also, some of the first S2 rims had no knurling, I've seen it especially on the painted rims. I wonder if the wheels were changed at one time and that's why the rest of the brake stuff isn't there?

Last edited:
Looks like someone added the nice chrome fenders and Phantom seat when it was restroyed. I'm betting the frame is older than the Phantoms and the wheels are OE.
HA! HA! HA! I never heard restroyed before! That's a pretty good description! Barry

thanks for the replies, I should have mentioned the original front fender was missing and seat was just the pan , reissue fenders and seat I added until I can find some crusty replacements , under the green spray paint is a real red Phantom made on 2/7/1951 the rear coaster brake is a New Departure laced into the same rim as the front and yes the drum is Schwinn script marked
s-l1600 (3).jpg
IMG_7974 (1).JPG

It can't be very early with the serial number there! I guess that answers that questions. LOL

thanks for the replies, I should have mentioned the original front fender was missing and seat was just the pan , reissue fenders and seat I added until I can find some crusty replacements , under the green spray paint is a real red Phantom made on 2/7/1951 the rear coaster brake is a New Departure laced into the same rim as the front and yes the drum is Schwinn script marked QUOTE]

Well that info opens up a whole new book. First thing is the serial number is on the drop out so it's not a 51 model since those numbers were under the crank. With that in mind, the factory issued rims would have been the tubular S-2's. I was just mentioning yesterday that there were errors on "all" of the serial number lists and I think your SN is in one of those error zones. Possibly the person that typed or transferred the list made a human error. Notice the first line of SN's. If that is in fact an error your Phantom's serial number was stamped at the beginning of 1953. I have a 53 Phantom and the rims are double knurled center stamped tubular S2's. New Departure rear hub and Schwinn script front hub.
Date ------------- Serial #`s From -------------------- To
01/12 to 01/14 ------- H60001 ----------------- H16956
01/14 to 01/16 ------- H16957 ----------------- H26563
01/16 to 01/19 ------- H26564 ----------------- H37436
01/19 ------------------ H37437 ----------------- H37753
01/28 to 01/29 ------- H37754 ----------------- H42355
01/29 ------------------ H42356 ----------------- H44000

Back