When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Phantom wheel Question

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Well that info opens up a whole new book. First thing is the serial number is on the drop out so it's not a 51 model since those numbers were under the crank. With that in mind, the factory issued rims would have been the tubular S-2's. I was just mentioning yesterday that there were errors on "all" of the serial number lists and I think your SN is in one of those error zones. Possibly the person that typed or transferred the list made a human error. Notice the first line of SN's. If that is in fact an error your Phantom's serial number was stamped at the beginning of 1953. I have a 53 Phantom and the rims are double knurled center stamped tubular S2's. New Departure rear hub and Schwinn script front hub.
Date ------------- Serial #`s From -------------------- To
01/12 to 01/14 ------- H60001 ----------------- H16956
01/14 to 01/16 ------- H16957 ----------------- H26563
01/16 to 01/19 ------- H26564 ----------------- H37436
01/19 ------------------ H37437 ----------------- H37753
01/28 to 01/29 ------- H37754 ----------------- H42355
01/29 ------------------ H42356 ----------------- H44000
I see what you mean

Last edited:
U odd-a get some goof off and take that spit green and gold off there for 1100% appearance improvement. track down who's rims they are as, they'd be awfully hard to find, potentially sell them for enough to get a nice set of 50's S-2's Don't know for sure but, if Schwinn then, they were formed from a tube,( 'Schwinn tubular' hint) 1946 and if Lobdell prewar-46 then not. Either way, hard to find, because of the brake, and they do look like Lobdell's those are probably off of an prewar Autocycle :hearteyes: ;)

This should help get u started: https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/1941-schwinn-lobdell-wheel-set.119410/

Last edited:
U odd-a get some goof off and take that spit green and gold off there for 1100% appearance improvement. track down who's rims they are as, they'd be awfully hard to find, potentially sell them for enough to get a nice set of 50's S-2's Don't know for sure but, if Schwinn then, they were formed from a tube,( 'Schwinn tubular' hint) 1946 and if Lobdell prewar-46 then not. Either way, hard to find, because of the brake, and they do look like Lobdell's those are probably off of an prewar Autocycle :hearteyes: ;)

This should help get u started: https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/1941-schwinn-lobdell-wheel-set.119410/

Jeff, you are absolutely right, that was always the plan for this bike, get it down to see what the original paint looks like , not a restoration project the repro seat and fenders were picked up while I was looking for a crusty front fender and light , the plating on this thing is really poor and looks like it was never very good, I didn't consider the wheel set to be so much older than the bike as the rear wheel sprocket is not a skip tooth and front hub is schwinn script so I figured it was original to the bike as I have seen so many Phantoms fitted with the front drum, but this would indeed explain the lack of other braking parts up front , I guess this was a 53 that had the wheels switched out at some point, I will keep the wheel set together and find a rear S2 now that I have a front and start looking for clues on the rear hub , and start gently removing paint on the rest of the bike

I should also explain the reason I picked up this bike was that I never was a fan of the Phantom and after 30 years of messing around with old bikes I never owned one , I bought older stuff and Columbias or other brands, I have a great original paint DX and have had other Schwinns but never a Phantom, and when ever I rode an old bike everyone would ask me if it was a Schwinn Phantom and I would always say no, and when they came to the shop and saw all the bikes they would ask if I had a Schwinn Phantom, and I never did, so a few months ago a buddy in Texas found this thing at a barn sale and asked if I wanted it, it was so cheep I had to say yes, and it was so ugly I thought it would be funny to keep it just like this so when someone asked if I had a Phantom I could show them this. When it got home and I gave it a once over, I decided it was a pretty cool bike and that it deserves to be cleaned up a little bit but I promised myself I wasn't going to go overboard and do a restoration on it and spend 2 grand on phantom parts and plating to put together a bike that might be worth a thousand, but maybe a rustoration is in order, or at least collecting some missing parts and hosing it off.

Recently bought a 52 B6 with similar setup s2 rear, lobdell drum brake front. Wondered then if front rim had been replaced this make me wonder if some got out of the factory that way.

Recently bought a 52 B6 with similar setup s2 rear, lobdell drum brake front. Wondered then if front rim had been replaced this make me wonder if some got out of the factory that way.
In 47 maybe but by 52, I doubt it.

Back