When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Racer...Is This Worth Purchasing?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Pictures of Racers posted to this thread so far have short frames leading 6 to 2 against tall frames. The trend that jumped out at me from analyzing these 8 images, was that short frames may be for sale, tall frames may be much loved.
Definitely. As someone mentioned earlier, there were fewer tall frames sold. Even fewer still exist today and those are largely spoken for already. At one time, tall EF frame Schwinn lightweights were plentiful on Ebay and at swaps. Not so anymore, in my experience.

Definitely. As someone mentioned earlier, there were fewer tall frames sold. Even fewer still exist today and those are largely spoken for already. At one time, tall EF frame Schwinn lightweights were plentiful on Ebay and at swaps. Not so anymore, in my experience.
I wound up scrapping about 10 tall frame Schwinn lightweight framesets the last time I moved because I literally could not give them away. That was about seven years ago. I guess interest has picked up!

I wound up scrapping about 10 tall frame Schwinn lightweight framesets the last time I moved because I literally could not give them away. That was about seven years ago. I guess interest has picked up!
Sure seems that way! Not that many years ago, I donated a minty 24" 1971 Varsity in Campus Green to a bike cooperative in Asbury Park, along with some other bikes. Still had the plastic cable ends, original everything, including the tires. Hopefully, it went to a good home, but I'm kicking myself for that one. LOL

My take on the collectability of the 26 inch wheel three speeds in the last 10 years is as follows:

The first generation [1938-52] noticeable increase in collectability over the past 10 or so years. The attitude used to be that it wasn't a ballooner, so not worth the time to clean and repair. Or the attitude was "harvest the parts". Now, these are collectable in their own right and more appreciated as more people have gotten into them.

The second generation [1953-mid/late 1960s] has had a lesser increase in collectability but has done somewhat better than in previous years. Rare colors and good frame graphics can give a real boost to some bikes. But I've seen an increased interest in bikes with good paint and graphics because this period offers a great deal of variety for collectors. It also doesn't hurt to have that 1950s-60s mystique.

The third generation [mid/late 1960s-end] maybe a very slight increase in collectability for these bikes over the past few years, but it hasn't been big. Sometimes you still see them at yard sales, tag sales, thrift stores for almost nothing, but that is less common than 10-15 years ago.

As with all things, condition also plays a huge role. Bikes that have been abused, over-painted, parted-out still don't do all that well.

I have a really solid, original black Racer up for sale local for $100 with zero bites in a month or two if that gives you any indication of the value. Really cool bike though....

Side note: I think its a very cool bike and still has alot of vintage flavor and should be worth more honestly but sadly the market indicates otherwise.
Can you send me PM to do a question ?

IMO it's still all about location, condition and marketing skills. Ever see a CL of FB and with one or two bad pictures and the title says something like: Schwinn vintage........I sell these small frame 3 speeds for anywhere between $225 and $300. You need great pictures, 10 or so, and a compelling ad. New tires, just serviced, everything works etc: If small frame bikes were not desirable there wouldn't be such an attraction to Phantoms, Panthers etc: as well as a ton of middleweights. There is an entire market out there that ergonomics don't mean Jack.

Agreed, it is largely about location, marketing etc. 3/5/10 speed lightweights with upright bars are an easy sell here in the NYC Metro Area. They seem to sell even with poor photos and scant details

I think large frames are more desirable for the lightweights, though. Phantoms/Panthers/middleweights and the like were only available in small frame sizes 18"-20" and were marketed to kids. The traits that make them desirable to collectors are different than those of the lightweight class bikes. Perhaps if ballooners and middleweights were available in larger sized frames, they would be more sought after by adult collectors. IMHO

Last edited:
Perhaps if ballooners and middleweights were available in larger sized frames, they would be more sought after by adult collectors. IMHO
Weren't they? I have been searching for info on this, and started compiling a list for myself. I'm just starting my classic bike journey, and not very knowledgible, but..

So far, just a few names, ...
The Schwinn "kingsize" cantilever framed "American" and "Heavy Duti. No info on model years.
A variation of the Cleveland Welding made "Roadmaster", which included the '90s reproduction "Luxury Liner".
- One variant of CWC frame was said to be more suitable for larger riders, not because it's taller, but because the top bar is longer and the seat post is angled back a bit more.

I'd expect that going back to the prewar days, there might be more candidate machines with more spacious frames. I thought of starting a thread on this topic, but it seemed prudent to do more research first.

Since this kinda turned into a Racer thread, here is the OG black one i have laying around. It has a cool look to it being black but still not my style

036091CA-E973-4069-A44D-DA894009A8B4.jpeg

Weren't they? I have been searching for info on this, and started compiling a list for myself. I'm just starting my classic bike journey, and not very knowledgible, but..

So far, just a few names, ...
The Schwinn "kingsize" cantilever framed "American" and "Heavy Duti. No info on model years.
A variation of the Cleveland Welding made "Roadmaster", which included the '90s reproduction "Luxury Liner".
- One variant of CWC frame was said to be more suitable for larger riders, not because it's taller, but because the top bar is longer and the seat post is angled back a bit more.

I'd expect that going back to the prewar days, there might be more candidate machines with more spacious frames. I thought of starting a thread on this topic, but it seemed prudent to do more research first.
You seem to be very knowledgeable on the subject! I've been in the hobby for 27 years. Until I joined the CABE, I was not even aware of the later "kingsize" cantilever frames. However, those are 20" vs the regular 18", unless I'm mistaken. Not a tall frame, like the 23" and 24" lightweights. Most 6 footers + will need a super-long seatpost to ride the 18" and 20" frames.

Prewar Schwinn ballooners were available in a 20" frame. I have a '36 Motorbike with such a frame. Also, Rollfast made some larger framed balloon tire bikes, around 20"

Back